Tamiya 1/72 Sturmovik

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I really enjoy watching other peoples builds come together. Brilliant way of gaining tips. Cuts down on my build time but keep 'em coming! :D :D

D

dubster72

That's a masking & painting masterclass Doug! Great work!

D

Doug Hughes

Ian's recent post on problems related to a build, and keeping/linking them with the build itself reminded me. In the pictures I posted a week or so ago you can see the propellor spinner. I asked about masking off the white tip of this here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/a-couple-of-masking-problems.28140/. In the event, none of the suggested methods worked for me, partly because I'd already assembled the blades and spinner. In the end I cut a then (2mm or so) strip of masking tape, and wrapped that around the white to get the hard edge. I then painted the rest of the white with liquid mask, masked off the blades, and sprayed the dark green. Results were not bad (though the prop might be showing its 'best profile' in the picture!). Next time I'll make sure I paint the spinner before attaching the blades!

Last night I tried out some of the spare decals on a my test plastic bottle, over a coat of gloss varnish, using Microset and Microsol. The results aren't too bad at all - just a bit of silvering on decals with a lot of carrier film (e.g. two separate numbers presented as one decal). I'll just make sure I've got a good polish on the areas to be decalled (is that a word?), and I'll trim or separate one or two of them to be on the safe side.