Tamiya Bf109 - comments welcome. WARNING - lots of images.

S

Scuff

This is my third kit following a long lay-off. I have learnt a great deal building my Me262 and Spitfire. Thanks to advice and feedback from you guys on the forums, I have tried out a few new techniques and listened to your previous feedback.

The out of box cockpit was used. I didn’t use the instrument panel decals as I thought that they were a bit naff (technical term), and hand painted the instruments. I made up seat belt from masking tape and fuse wire.

The kit was the usual good fit and I had no trouble fitting it together, and a small amount of filling and sanding got everything smooth. A base coat of Tamiya Neutral Grey was sprayed prior to pre-shading all of the panel lines with Tamiya Matt Black. The version I was constructing called out for a splinter camo’ of RLM74 greenish grey and RLM 75 grey/violet. I tried various recommendations for mixes, but they looked just wrong. It was then that I used the colour swatches in the iModelKit software to match a mix of Tamiya colours to the correct RLM colours. I am very happy with the result after two resprays!

Once the underneath Tamiya light blue was applied, I moved to the camouflage. I applied the dark green first with an overlap and let it dry. I then changed to the grey /violet and edged the camo’ pattern using normal masking tape with ¼ inch folded over and rested on the model. I lifted up the folded edge slightly to give a feathered effect to the edges of the camo’. I just peeled the tape and held it to the next edge and sprayed. Once done, I filled in the rest of the colour. I found this was a quick way of getting the camo’ done.

The decals were applied with the aid of Micro Set and Sol. They were very thick and didn’t settle down well, so after a couple of applications of Sol, I cut all of the panel lines through the decals and applied more Micro Sol. That sorted the blighters out.

Restrained chipping was done with flat metallic grey highlighted with flat aluminium; the wing walk also got a wash of ‘mud’. A general dark dirt panel wash was applied and then some of the panels in the dark areas of the camo’ were highlighted with a light panel line wash. Gun smoke and exhaust stains were sprayed with Tamiya smoke thinned to within an inch of its life. The whole lot was sprayed with Xtracrylix satin varnish.

The antennae was constructed with stretched sprue and fixed with superglue. Insulating ‘blobs’ were added using gator glue. They were painted black once the glue had dried. The slightly saggy wire was tensioned with the hot screwdriver trick.

I have really enjoyed trying out new techniques on this kit thanks to the tip and tricks from you guys. As always, I welcome any comments or observations from you all.

I hope you like the pics.

Last edited:
A

andygh

That looks spot on to me, great weathering and it's easy to see what your day job is. 5* from me :thumbs-up:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Scuff :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a real beaut of a build, Great paint work and as usual perfect photos.

Five well deserved stars from me!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job once again and great photos too.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Scuff's model follows the Tamiya paint call out of RLM 74/75 upper surface colours. This is absolutely fine,and looks great.

I hope he won't mind my making a few observations on this scheme and the E-7s of JG 26.

One of Muncheberg's colleagues,Klaus Mietusch,confirms in his log book that he was flying an E-7 in October 1940. It is reasonable to assume that JG 26 were receiving this new model in late 1940 whilst still on the channel front. I have not seen any evidence to suggest that they acquired another delivery in early 1941 when they moved South.

Now the earliest deliveries of Bf109s in the 'new' 74/75/76 scheme were F models from WNF (Wiener Neustadt) in the spring of 1941. These actually preceded the official adoption of the 74/75/76 scheme by just about six months!

This leaves two options for Muncheberg's 'White 12',neither of which is Tamiya's!

It was either in a standard,earlier 71/02/65 scheme,which I favour,or in a so called 'mixed grey' scheme. Some units on the channel front were making there own grey camouflages by mixing available paints. This is often evidenced in British "crashed enemy aircraft reports". These greys were precursors of,and were often close to,the soon to arrive RLM 74 and RLM 75. I know Lynne Ritger favours a mixed grey scheme over a 02/71 scheme for these JG 26 aircraft but I don't know what his evidence is. Being Ritger I suspect he has something to back up his opinion!

Here's a piccy of the aircraft in question.

There is quite a contrast between the two colours on the spine,71/02,74/75,something mixed by the unit?........who can say for sure.

None of this makes Scuff wrong! It certainly doesn't make me right! I just thought you might be interested to see how difficult it is to be certain of seemingly simple things regarding the Luftwaffe. There isn't a right or wrong,my version (in 02/71) is just as valid as Scuff's and,of course,vice-versa.

The aircraft could very well have been in mixed greys (as per Ritger) and mixed greys resembling 74/75 are exactly what he's done,and very nicely too.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A beautiful build Graham 5*. My only observation is that it should read Me262 not 252.

Vaughan.

S

Scuff

Fascinating info Steve. Thanks for takin the time to reply.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments.

S

Scuff

\ said:
A beautiful build Graham 5*. My only observation is that it should read Me262 not 252. Vaughan.
Doh! Someone has been swapping my key caps around :D

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job graham , fantastic paintwork, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Fascinating info Steve. Thanks for takin the time to reply.Thanks to everyone for their kind comments.
Well you chose a very interesting subject! The colours are much debated. You've made a nice job of it and unless Dr Who subscribes to the forum we'll never know who's got it "correct". It could just as easily be you as anybody else. If you look at versions of Muncheberg's E-7 'White 12' built by various people over the years,I reckon you'll find a 50/50 split between the grey and older (02/71) schemes. It's all part of the fun!

Cheers

Steve

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Beautiful model here scuff! something i aspire to be able to do 5* from me :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build Graham....Have another 5* for the well deserved pile!

Ron

S

Scuff

Thank you Ben Colin and Ron, your comments are much appreciated.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A really cracking Graham.

Love the detailing on the hinges and catches.

5 stars.

Tony.