Tamiya FW 190-A-3 1/48 scale

U

uncleglenny19

Hey everyone here is my second attempt FW 190 A-3 1/48th looking for comments and suggestions, problems I had with this model was mixing tamiya paints for the right colors and my wash i used was testors enamel, and when i tried to rub some off it removed the paint on the bottom of the right wing, next time i will just use the chalk wash, I found this scale very challenging, anyway comments and/or suggestions please

View attachment 48874View attachment 48875View attachment 48876View attachment 48877 View attachment 48873

View attachment 51696

View attachment 51697

View attachment 51698

View attachment 51699

View attachment 51700

SAM_0545.jpg

SAM_0540.jpg

SAM_0541.jpg

SAM_0542.jpg

SAM_0543.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Glenn I only manage to model in 1/32 scale which I find a challenge! I think you've done a fine job in your scale all looks good to me. I use Pro-modellers clay washes which are safe to use on all paints and the beauty of this type of wash is that if you don't like the result you just wipe it off with a damp piece of kitchen roll and start again. As far as the paints go I use vallejo Model Air paints which covers most of the RLM colours and they're pre thinned for spraying.

Vaughan.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks very nice indeed,well put together and painted.

I'm with Vaughan on the RLM colours,loads of manufacturers do their versions which are a better starting point than a mixture and a lot easier.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Chris
Despite your problems that's a nice looking Butcher Bird Uncle Glenny. I'm a tamiya acrylic man myself and from a useful piece of advice From this fine site I use a watercolour wash after a coat of klear which works a treat.

Regards

Chris

T

treyzx10r

Looks very sharp,I mix my own washes with ground up pastels and a drop of dish soap and water to the consistency I want

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
looks good to me ... rgds lindsey

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think it looks great. I'm with Vaughan on the wash front. Many people make their own, but the Pro-modeller stuff is so easy to use.

Colin M..

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats a cracking looking Butcher Bird Glenn, well built and beautifully painted. And whatever problems you had with the washes don't show.

Well done sir.

If I can borrow your thread Glenn, can I ask Trey, how does a "drop of dish soap" help with the wash, as I'm still learning and I've not heard about this, thanks.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Tony if you use a drop washing up liquid in the wash it helps break the surface tension when applying over varnish or klear.

Vaughan

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Vaughan, I was a bit concerned about putting "soapy" water on the paint. But you say it goes over a coat of Klear, does this work for watered down acrylic paints because this is what I use for wash at the moment, or do I need to invest in some pastals.

Thanks for the advice Vaughan and sorry again about hijacking your thread Glenn.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Tony I'm not sure about using it with watered down acrylic paint but I'm sure it would be ok. I used the pro-modeller washes that are water based and it does help the wash spread over the model. When I say a drop it's literally one drop.

Vaughan