Tamiya Morgan 4/4

G

GeeBee

The only Morgan I have ever driven was a 4/4, in bright red, so this model will be done in Ford Radiant red, with a light tan interior, the kit I'm using was bought off ebay, but was missing the clear parts when it came, but I kept the kit and managed to get another built up one to use as a donar car, but that one the front screen was a mess, but I did get the top up option which was as new, so this model will be built with the roof in the up position.

I built up the parts on the bodyshell that needed to be painted body colour, (Front Grill surround and rear lamp pods), as I am building this kit out of an incomplete kit, I am grabing some parts from the built up model I stripped down for parts, in the kit the front grill surround was broken, I used the one off the donor car, I had to clean off the glue residue, but it turned out o.k, for most of my builds I use good old Cellulose paints, but for this build I decided I would give automotive Acrylics a go, coverage was good and the shine right out of the airbrush was very good.

The seats are molded in two parts, the seat bucket and the back panel, although the back of the seat won't really been seen once the model is built, I still went to the trouble of making the join as good as I could, and has now had a small coat of Squadron white putty, I will leave this to dry out overnight before sanding smooth

Today (October 7th) I managed to get into the model room, it's the first chance I have had since coming back from Dublin, the body polished out very nice, and I didn't even need to break out the Minicraft drill and polishing mop, I used meguires NXT tech wax polish on a microfibre cloth, and after letting the filler dry on the seats, I have sanded them flat as well, and they have now had a coat of Tamiya XF-59 Desert yellow to match the interior.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi geoff , super paint job , this is going to look great! ive found the acrylic car paints very useful too, and looking at builds like this is making me want to do a car! keep up the excellent work , cheers tony

R

Richy C

Very nice Geoff , superb finnish on the bodywork.

Richy

G

GeeBee

A little bit done to this over the last week, I can't really go any further as I'm waiting for the flocking to arrive for the interior, which needs to be fixed to the chassis before the bodyshell can be fixed on, all the little parts were either airbrushed in satin black or Alclad aluminium, the interior seats and dash were airbrushed in Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow, the bodyshell was masked off and the bulkhead and inner wings were airbrushed satin black.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm very nice.

Flocking?

Ian M

R

Richy C

Ian - tiny fibres mate that you sprinkle over white glue or pva that gives the carpet look I`ve tried it on 1/20 scale racecar seats and stearing wheels without to much success its very hard to get right , but if done right looks fantastic .

looks very sharp Geoff

Richy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sort of like the green stuff we use for grass in dioramas? Ok I get the picture.

I'm looking forward to seeing that done.

Ian M

R

Richy C

microballoons is another option for the carpet/cloth look but is quite hard to get hold of , I`ve never tried it but apparently you mix it with CA glue and gives fantastic results if done right .

Richy

P

PeanuckleJive

I've got one of these sitting around in my secret stash, Never got round to starting it but you're tempting me now

G

GeeBee

\ said:
I've got one of these sitting around in my secret stash, Never got round to starting it but you're tempting me now
Parts fit so far is very good, you'll enjoy building it !

G

GeeBee

Right, this week I have managed to get back to working on my own models, so here's a bit of an update,

Roof painted (Not fixed to body permanent)

Flocking Done

Steering Wheel Painted

Dashboard painted to replicate wood and decals fitted, gauge glass replicated using clear resin.

Body & Chassis fitted together

Engine Bay finished

G

GeeBee

Thanks,

I should have marked out and painted the trim at the back before the bodyshell was fitted to the chassis, but you always think about these things after the event !

However I painted them this morning and it went a lot better than I had anticipated.

G

GeeBee

When I masked off the bodyshell to paint the bulkhead black, I also airbrushed the inner wings, but because the way I masked off, I didn't paint the rear part of the under body, so that was done using Humbrol black acrylic brushed on, the exhaust was fitted and the rear valance and bumper bars were fitted at the same time, the front grill was a little bit tricky to fit, as I had fitted the grill surround at the beginning of the build before I had painted the bodyshell, but this should be fitted later in the build, but it's worth fixing it on before painting as it makes for a cleaner build, the bonnet panels were simply clipped into place, the wheels were also just push fitted onto the axles as there are poly caps fitted inside the axles, the spare was fixed into place using 5 minute epoxy.