Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper - Monte Carlo - started at last

H

harrier-1973

Evening!

While I'm waiting for the paint job on my 767 to cure I've decided to make a start on my first 1/24 motor. I've really been looking forward to getting stuck into this one. It will also be my first Tamiya build. It's hard to fault the quality of the mouldings in this kit, especially compared to some of the Revell & Airfix I've done before. The shell had a little flash on the sills and 1 mould line on each front wing which were easily dealt with and I'm hard pressed to find flaws on the remaining parts. The model is nicely detailed especially in the engine bay. The clear parts are well moulded and clean. The tyres are excellent, emblazoned with the Dunlop logo in really good quality rubber.

This build will be especially meaningful to me as I own a Mini Cooper which I can't afford to run as well as the sensible family car right now :sad: So far the she (yes, you heard me, 'she') has been treated to 1 coat of grey primer which, as expected, revealed no dinks or flaws of any kind on the surface. After a coat of white primer and 24 hrs in a nice warm place, I rubbed her down to a glassy finish with 3200 & 3600 grit Micro Mesh and laid another coat of white.

So far so good. The Halfords primer is proving to be a great investment and my new airbrush is worth its weight in gold :smiling3: Tomorrow she'll get another rub down and when my paint arrives I can start on the top coats.

John

View attachment 43434

View attachment 43437

DSC_4523.jpg

DSC_4525.jpg

Last edited:
H

HRVI

I take it your building her right down to the instructions? If you are my tip is not to paint the interior how the instructions say. the interior of 177 was all black.

I am also currently doing 2 of these 1 rally one & 1 race one but both are getting heavily modified :smiling3:

H

harrier-1973

Hey thanks for the tip! I was planning on finding some pics but so far the model's still at the primed stage due to family commitments! Hoping to get a bit more done when half term is over!

Will you be posting your works in progress?