Tamiya Panther, 1/35

M

m1ks

Not much activity then completion of 2 models in exactly as many days.

This one has been sitting painted awaiting weathering and painting and weathering of the tracks as i've been wracking my brains on the easiest yet most realistic method of approaching it.

This is my first 'proper' tank model, (my other being a 100th scale wargaming thingummy which really doesn''t count), there are things i'd have modified and adjusted and i'd have approached several bits of it differently to build it again, to be honest it just didn't fire that creative spark in me which I think is why it took so long to get back to it, the main reason being I like to have a couple on the go so I can, say, paint one while one sets from assembly etc, and having sat there through my last two builds I wanted it out of the way.

it's also my first figure painting which I know could have looked a lot better but overall it's not bad and at some point I may even get a picture frame and make a little base with some earth and whatnot.

Comments welcome and pointers on painting 35th scale figures, especially faces as I can always re-address that, (and theres the unused driver figure).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If thats your first proper tank. I would love to see the next one. A very good job m1ks!

As for the commander, he looks ok as well. maybe a darker wash to bring out the detail on his face.

Nice one

Ian M

M

m1ks

Thanks Ian, that's very kind of you, I have a Sherman with figures but having struggled to find some go with this one I don't know when I'll approach that one, plus I'd really like to do that one on a base with the figures poised in action around the vehicle and maybe some foliage and ruined buildings.

Thanks for the pointer on the figure, I'd like to get more detail and realism on the face.

Last edited:
P

Polux

I'm with Ian! If is your first tank...better don't see the next!! Will be great!! ;)

I love the mud effect on the wheels, and the paint work and camouflage looks very good.

Congratulations, a very nice one!

Polux

P

panzer6

And I agree with others. Only one poor thing about is- very simplyfied old Tamiya kit. They should do better tracks. Why I'm telling you that? Because I'm owner of the same set. To make my self happy I've upgraded my tank with Masterclub tracks and RB-model gun barrel. I couldn't watch the originals. You've done very nice assembly and painting. Very important action made- exhaust pipes drilled. Your next will be awesome. Regards. Bart.

M

m1ks

Thanks a bunch guys, coming from you polux and you also panzer having just seen your excellent italeri pzkfw build, that's high praise.

I was told by the model shop owner, (who's a tank and dio builder), that this wasn't considered a good model and is apparently inaccurate but it suited my needs as a cheapish practise model for a first attempt.

As for accuracy I work on the saying, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then clearly it's a tank , (or something like that) :smiling3:

One of the things I wish I'd addressed while the top wasn't glued was the track sag, I'd have pinned it but it's not easily done with poor side access once the lids on.

A

AJay

It looks great and like the others stated, nice paint job and muddy road wheels! I have the same kit built and half painted - I'd be happy if mine looked as good as yours :smiling3:

M

m1ks

No reason why not, mine sat half assembled and painted minus weathering and tracks etc for months. If you still have access get some stiff wire and feed this through the hull both sides just above the first roadwheel (behind the driving wheel) so that it goes above the track holding it down, this places it in a more realistic stationary sag, if you hold it down with your finger you'll see what I mean, Had I not already secured the lid i would have done this.

Good luck with yours, look forward to seeing it posted when completed, :smiling3:

C

CDW

Nicely done mate.

There's two points i would make as critique .... the face could use more detail (i think this is the bain of all of us), as Ian says a flesh wash would bring out the detail nicely (Citadel do a really good acrylic flesh wash - paint on wipe off)

Also the wheels are very nicely weathered but the tracks are very clean looking ... maybe a weathering solution over all the track and wipe off the raised surface?

Saying this though i'd be chuffed with it as it's very well painted :smiling3: :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice all round job and good helpful comments too....

Just one more you might try.....The turret machine gun. Get a 3 or 5B pencil (softer the better) and rub it over the weapon, particularily the metal edges. Then rub with your finger, it turns into a glorious gun metal shine....Repeat if required!

Here's to your next model...

Ron

M

m1ks

Thanks for the comments and pointers, (I knew I'd missed something with the dry brush when I did the tracks, intended to give the turret machine gun a dusting).

I didn't put much on the tracks as I wondered how much dry mud would stick to them given the rattling and moving constantly? I can always add some at a later date if I do the base.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
love what you've done to my favorite tank of the war...the mud on the wheels looks superb

M

m1ks

Isn't it strange that machines built for a specific purpose during wartime can carry an appeal for people, considering they're built for utility.

When you think of say the Ferrari whichis designed to look pretty and appeal to people as well as being a fast sports car

I'm no armour buff but this one appealed to me too, likewise the Sherman and Tiger but few others.

Thanks for the kind comments. It's helping my mindset for tackling the Sherman

Last edited: