Tamiya Panther Ausf A 1:35 (with photo setup example)

S

Scuff

So here I am, coming down from the monster size Centurion Build.

This kit was a present from SWMBO, and she is dying to see how it comes out!

I wont bore you all about how I cut the bits off of the sprues, but will certainly post when I have done something interesting.

Many have asked about my model photography, so I thought I would show you a set-up that I use for quick progress shots.

As you can see, the room is very small and cosy, so I unfurl a graduated vinyl background, stick a couple of speedlites out. One clamped the the radiator, firing into the white door behind me, the other bounced off of the ceiling. The camera is set to telephoto so that there is less wide angle distortion and Off I go........

This first shot was taken with a Canon 1Dx full frame camera and a lens set at 16mm to get everythiong in from this small room - thats why everything is bent all over the place!

Using the compact camera now, a Canon G12, I take a shot of the set-up with some white balance cards in situ. This will ensure that when I edit the images, I get perfect colours. So if your monitor is calibrated you will see the actual colours that I have used. Also, because I am bouncing light all over the place in the room, there will be various colour casts from shelving, old off white ceiling paint etc.

Here is the basic assembly airbrushed with a coat of Vallejo 74601 Grey acrylic-polyurethane primer. I like the finish and surface it gives for later airbrushing. I use a light colour so that pre-shading shows up, and like using a gradual dark to light from bottom to top, which I will do later.

I have drilled out the exhaust......

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great post and a tidy build.

A good play showing the "studio" set up. I am sure that many of us can get a lot of good ideas from that.

Ian M

S

Scuff

Last update before Christmas I think, I may be injured by a certain SWMBO if I carry on !:eek:

I am at the pre-shading stage. The usual XF-1 mat black was airbrushed on the panel lines and shapes, using a very fine needle in the Sotar 20/20. The rest of the shading was applied using a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution.

A layer of Flat Brown XF-10 was applied using a general sized needle, to the lower area and places where shadows would be cast. Some deck tan XF-55 colour was sprayed fairly randomly on the upper paenels to give tonal variation when the main colour is applied later. Finally, some high spots were given a 'blip' of mat white XF-2.

Have a great Christmas everyone......

P

Plastickitbasher

Very top drawer photo's. Builds coming on a treat to

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Top stuff Graham, thanks for sharing the tips.

S

Scuff

I Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year.

Not so much a build thread - 'cos i've finished it. More of a way of showing my method to achieve some subtle and hopefully realistic tonal variation.

I am happy with the way it has turned out, but any comments are always welcome.

Firstly, an 'arty' monochrome shot.

A comparison of scale against an SLR camera

Thanks for looking.

M

mobear

really nicely done sir and that back drop for photos is awesome,can i say watch that decal of the helmet on the front it might try to crack,aprt from that your tank is ace and the weathering is first class

mobear

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Another superb tank build Graham, very nicely done indeed.

C

cryton 5

:cool: cool model and fantastic ,I envy in a respectful way such detail and photography ,see you're

good at that my hat's off .I have such model coming up and war scene planned soon .other project's too sort cry !

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
real nice panther looks stunning when paired with your photos of it

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just great Graham,photos are fantastic, as well the tank , and weathering , only can hope to get too that stage one day