Tamiya Therapy: 1/16 German Infantryman

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Tamiya36304GermanInfantryman.jpg

To try and restore my faith in plastic figure kits after my disappointment with the ICM centurion, I decided to dig out this Tamiya kit given to me by Richard Pearce. I've made this one before, and painted it as per the box art:

100_1640.JPG

As you can see, a full camo job, so this time I decided I'd just enjoy myself by ditching the camo and going for a simpler scheme - reed green jacket and white trousers.

I didn't want to start the post until I'd seen if I could still paint at this scale - the recent batch of 1/5 busts has really had a detrimental effect on my abilities - but it looks like this one may work:

100_6482.JPG

I decided to start with the jacket rather than the head as I find drapery the most enjoyable to paint.

The rest of the kit includes plenty of equipment:

100_6479.JPG

If in doubt and in need of a good kit, go to Tamiya!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
chair pulled up, but please give me chance to boil the kettle, if your going to bin him :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No danger of that Peter, that would be a waste of good talent. I always enjoy your German figs. I'm in for this bit of show so keep it coming.
Rick H.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Good start and a real confidence boost with the reed green reversible top.

The weather is certainly keeping the centre stage with Storm Dennis due after a really wild build up.

Are you leaving the head util the very last after the trousers and all the kit?

Why not, it would be a real change of pace for you, and a change is as good as a rest, so they say!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Shame about the Roman as you were pleased to have got hold of it. Anyway this should prove much less problematic.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

Yes a shame about the Centurion, but I have had mixed results with the ICM figures. I may have a go at it again at some point in the future.

The trousers are done on this one:

100_6489.JPG100_6487.JPG

I'd forgotten how difficult it is to paint with white, not helped in this case by the fact that I had let myself get to the dregs of my last bottle of Vallejo Flat White - I hadn't noticed how much paint I'd been using on the 1/5 busts.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I was just counting down 3,2,1 and you're already on the trousers Peter. :smiling6: Don't forget that these white pants always get mucked up around the knee area and seat of the pants. What happened to the Centurion?

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

I will do some weathering, but will leave it until last, as I intend to use pastels - they'll rub off if I do it too early.

Centurion not good.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fabulous figure work as always Pete.
Just shows wagtail can be done with these plastic figures.
Cheers
Paul

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress Peter, you already did a very nice job on the one in your first post :thumb2:
Steven

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovin the colour of the jacket. What is it please? Why the body first and not the head.? Just fancied a change of pace? Wonderful work as always especially on the whites.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - I certainly don't find it easy!

Rick - These Tamiya figures are very well done. Not always 100% anatomically, but they go together well.

Steven - As I'd already done a full camo version, I thought that let me off the hook this time.

Steve - It's Vallejo German Uniform, very different from their Field Grey, and similar to the early war uniforms , which had a greener tinge. These are actual German tunics, the earliest being top left:

tumblr_nw33q870Ug1sm9y4po1_1280.jpg

As you an see, quite a range of colours, with the brighter green very apparent on some.

I felt like starting on the body this time as it's always my favourite part.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work on the white, it really does need dark shading to lift the white, the drapery on the rear is really kicking.

I love the field grey tunic reference photo, it fully supports, pick your own colour LOL

Looks like an equipment day, today for you, then a final flourish with the head.

Home coming party soon?

Its still miserable weather, just right to be inside modelling.

Hopefully good light to paint by?

Have good day

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

The white is actually mostly grey, but the mid-tones have bleached out in the photo somewhat. Very hard to do, especially when you're running out of paint - hopefully a new delivery today.

Katherine got home yesterday at around 6pm. Very weird having her home - haven't seen her since Christmas. I've a feeling that my time will no longer be entirely my own from now on.

Very stormy night, but a bright and clear morning. Probably boots, gaiters and ammo pouches today.