Tamiya X-22 gloss varnish.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. I used some really well shaken Tamiya gloss varnish for the first time yesterday. It was sprayed at about 25psi using a 0.4mm nozzle on top of Tamiya XF paint which had had 3-4 hours to dry.

My question is, how come I've got a better matt finish than I would have done if I'd used a matt varnish?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sounds like it might be drying before hitting the model. What thinning ration are you using? 50/50 is a start by I tend to go 60% thinners to 40% paint.

The pressure might be a bit high too, try 15-18 psi and spray a bit closer to the model.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sounds like it might be drying before hitting the model. What thinning ration are you using? 50/50 is a start by I tend to go 60% thinners to 40% paint.

The pressure might be a bit high too, try 15-18 psi and spray a bit closer to the model.

Oops! I didn't think it needed to be thinned as most varnishes are used without thinning - or is that yet another thing I got wrong!?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've not used Tamiya Gloss, I used to use W&N Galeria but since moving to lacquers now use Mr Hobby GX100.

But yes, I would imagine it will need thinning. Start at 50/50, but probably 60/40 will work better.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've not used Tamiya Gloss, I used to use W&N Galeria but since moving to lacquers now use Mr Hobby GX100.

But yes, I would imagine it will need thinning. Start at 50/50, but probably 60/40 will work better.
OK, thanks Bob. I'll try that later today.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I would suggest testing a new medium first on scrap everytime before applying on the kit. You will have corrected the consistency needed, psi and distance before actual application.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I dilute about fifty fifty with MLT when spraying Tamiya gloss varnish. It is my “go to“ gloss under decals.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Along the lines of Mr Bowcats reply I I saw a video of it being done by Phil Flory to prove you could just manage with gloss varnish.
The reason being the varnish is starting to dry as it hits the surface so creates a Matt finish.

I think :thinking: :smiling6:

Geoff

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. Thanks guys. Looks like I got to do some practising with my thinners (I don't got any MLT but I do have an assortment of others; starting with Tamiya X20A) and air pressure - for which I'll dig out some scrap bits of plastic.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Thanks for this Bob. Tried what you say and got some gloss shine with a guesstimated 60:40 mix of X20A:X22 and 18psi. Seems to be the way to go so I'll be playing around with those numbers to see if I can do better. I've also got some Humbrol and Vallejo varnishes to play with.

Got to say it feels counter to common sense though. I would have thought a lower pressure means the varnish takes longer to reach the surface and therefore has more time to dry on the way?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Got to say it feels counter to common sense though. I would have thought a lower pressure means the varnish takes longer to reach the surface and therefore has more time to dry on the way?
Seems that way Dave, but isn’t. Lower air pressure also means larger paint droplets, and larger paint droplets means slower solvent evaporation. The varnish is then still wet when it hits the surface and can flow out giving an even coat. Dropping the air pressure too low, however, makes the droplets too large, leading to an unwanted spattering effect. Like everything in airbrushing it’s a balance between something you want, and something else you also want…..

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Seems that way Dave, but isn’t. Lower air pressure also means larger paint droplets, and larger paint droplets means slower solvent evaporation. The varnish is then still wet when it hits the surface and can flow out giving an even coat. Dropping the air pressure too low, however, makes the droplets too large, leading to an unwanted spattering effect. Like everything in airbrushing it’s a balance between something you want, and something else you also want…..

Amazin' the range of info you can gather in this hobby. Now I just need to learn how to retain it all!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Amazin' the range of info you can gather in this hobby. Now I just need to learn how to retain it all!
I wouldn’t recommend that Dave…….I seem to, and it means I can’t remember anything vaguely important :flushed:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, ‘er indoors says I have…….me…I can’t remember ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Is there anything you don't know!

I am being genuine......I have lost count of the number of times you have explained something like this....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is there anything you don't know!

I am being genuine......I have lost count of the number of times you have explained something like this....
Yes …….but I don’t know what it is….. :tongue-out3:

Serious answer……
I have had a lifetime of wondering how things work and have natural curiosity Andrew. I‘ve also got a very retentive memory for this sort of thing, and am pretty good at applying basic underlying concepts to apparently complex problems. it’s just how my mind works :tongue-out3:

First Name
Andy
Dave, I also have problems remembering things and advice gathered on here, must be an age thing. So, if I see something that may help me along the way in the future I just bookmark the page and it's always there, as long as I remember where all the bookmarks are! ;)

Andy