tamiya x20a thinner

P

premacy10

Hi all,

only been using an airbrush for 6 months and luckily with decent results. I hve mainly stuck to Vallego Model Air as it does not require thinning but i am starting to use the odd Humbrol, Tamiya paint which does. My question is would the Tamiya x20a thinner thin Humbrol or any other non tamiya paint and can i use it to clean my airbrush.

Many thanks Tony

M

munkster

I'm really no expert but one would imagine that unless the Humbrol is acrylic then the Tamiya X20A won't thin it? I will happily stand corrected because I don't really know.

What I would say though is that if you are going to use X20A then buy a big bottle of it (about £5-6 or so for 250ml) because the small 10ml jars are totally extortionate pro rata compared to the big bottle. I bought two big bottles of X20A and haven't looked back. As far as I know X20A is based on IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) which I use to clean my airbrush but using proprietary thinners seems like a pricey way to clean your tools!

I'm sure someone with much more knowledge will be along shortly :smiling:

S

snapper41

I don't use Tamiya thinner - much too expensive! Grab yourself some isopropanol alcohol from ebay - fraction of the price, and thins Tamiya acrylics with a 50/50 ratio. Cleans the airbrush too.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
or if you want you could just use windscren cleaner thats what i use for the tamiya paints its £5-6 quid for 5 ltrs trust me i will last for ever as long as you buy the one with the low temp -16 ish or lower it has a higher alchohol content and the blue tint so far has'nt effected my paint. not sure about the humberol but i would think you will need a heavy duty thinner only issue is these tend to rot the rubber seals over a period of time.

simon

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks to snappers advice ive just received a 1litre bottle of IPA courtesy of e-bay, £6.90 and free postage, thats a hell of a lot cheaper than tamiya thinners and it looks and smells exactly the same! Ive always known that IPA is a good alternative to tamiya thinners but i never knew where to get it, I just never thought of e-bay, i suppose i didnt think that sending flammable liquids through the post would be allowed,but obviously it is!!!, cheers tony

First Name
Mike
Here in Canada you can buy IPA from pharmacies (chemists), it's fairly cheap and does indeed work well with Tamiya paints. I've had the best results though using Tamiya's own-brand lacquer thinner for their acrylics. It sprays beautifully and dries very hard, but unlike regular lacquer thinner doesn't attack plastic. Great stuff, but hard-to-find here because of import/labelling issues. Fortunately, I have quite a bit of the stuff stockpiled.