Tamiya's Lancaster build.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After my last effort,containing four 1/72 Luftwaffe aircraft,I've had enough of swastikas. I also thought it would be nice to work my way back up from 1/72 to 1/32 by way of something in 1/48. A quick rummage in the cupboard turned up this little beauty.

I don't think anyone has done one of these recently so I'll do a little build blog in this thread as I go along.

I should be able to make a start next week.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
After my last effort,containing four 1/72 Luftwaffe aircraft,I've had enough of swastikas.
Are you feeling alright Steve? Not coming down with the flu or something are you?

Gern

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A lancaster, well that'll be different. Looking forward to sseing this one.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So did the Luftwaffe ever capture a Lanc?

Now you have those RAF paints, you might as wel put them to good use. And I am sure it will be a beauty when you are done with it.

I will be watching..

:crisps:

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

Looking forward to seeing this build Steve as I'd like to put together one of these too.

Should imagine that's going to be a fair size in 1/48th.

It'll be interesting to see what you make of airbrushing the black underside. Never a/b black on an aircraft before but imagine it's awkward trying to show shading and weathering.

Atb,

Colin.

First Name
Dave
I've got one of these in my stash.So I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
So did the Luftwaffe ever capture a Lanc?Ian M
You know what,I don't know. I shall investigate!

I'm feeling fine,I actually love the Lancaster. It was a wonderful aircraft and did a great job sadly at an enormous cost.

Steve

I've had a quick check and they captured several. At least one was flown by the Luftwaffe but noone seems to know which. It is mentioned by Hans-Werner Lerche in his book "Luftwaffe Test Pilot".

It was probably one of these.

MG-V EE129 7SQN missing on 1/2Jan.1944. It's crew became POW.

DX-Q JB548 57SQN missing on 1/2Jan.1944. It's crew became POW.

PM-C ND325 12SQN crash landed wheels down on 1/2Jan.1944 at Wingsbach, 3km north of Taunusstein.

BQ-D ND396 550SQN crashed on 30/31Jan.1944.

W4107 49SQN landed with great skill on the Island of Sark on the night of 22/23Nov.1942. This was probably the first Lancaster captured by the Germans.

MK I ZN-H W4842 106SQN, emergency landing on the tiny Isle "De Laek" near the Village "Warmond" near the city "Leiden" in The Netherlands on 28May1943. On the way back from a mission to Essen. The crew was taken POW, the aircraft was dismantled within the next few days.

There is no known photo of a Lancaster in German markings but there is an image of a four engined bomber (Lanc or Halifax?) on a German airfield taken by the gun camera of a P-51. It looks to still have roundels on the wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyrobs

Hi Steve, I'll look forward to this one!! I found the airfix 1/72 version in my stash today, and will probably make it my next build. How big is it in 1/48, it must be flippin huge!!!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking at the tail fins on that pic Steve i'd have a pop and say it's a Halifax personally

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking at the tail fins on that pic Steve i'd have a pop and say it's a Halifax personally
Yeah,I know what you mean. It always seems to be captioned as a Lancaster but I'm not sure. It's hard to be certain from such a dodgy image so you may well be right. I'll just call it a British four engined bomber :smiling3:

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I look forward to this one. I built this kit back in the 70s. An old but good one.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Must've been that little No.75 Squadron post we made that subliminally pointed you to the Lancaster. Look forward to this build as it evolves. Like Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-40s, P-51s and a raft of others, you can never have enough Lancasters.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Must've been that little No.75 Squadron post we made that subliminally pointed you to the Lancaster.
I think you're right. It may have jogged a few rusty old cogs in the old noggin.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
The horizontal stabilisers look to me as if they are mounted low down the side of the rear fuselage as found on the Lancaster.Not high up as per the Halifax.So I reckon it's a Lancaster.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm staying on this fence,no matter how many splinters I get in my arse :smiling3:

It's definitely got four engines!

Steve

T

TonyBv9

\ said:
The horizontal stabilisers look to me as if they are mounted low down the side of the rear fuselage as found on the Lancaster.Not high up as per the Halifax.So I reckon it's a Lancaster.
Yes, the stabilizers on the Halifax are almost flush with the top surface of the fuselage. On the photo, there is clearly shadow, and therefore height difference between the fuse and the stabilizers. Therefore: Lancaster.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
If you guys Google "Lancaster Rechlin 1944" you can see that there was one possible captured Lancaster, from 207 Squadron. Some arguments over the aircraft identity etc, but there seems to be agreement on the squadron it came from. Someone posted a video here (I think) months ago of captured aircraft paraded in Berlin by the Germans. I think the Lancaster appeared briefly in that?

C

CDW

Thought i'd travelled into an alternative reality when i saw the name "stona" and "lancaster" in the same thread......

Good luck with it and dont forget they have round markings normally ... not squared ones.

As for the one in the picture..... i'm picking some of those fence spinters up ..... its got wings and four engines thats what i can see :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been looking at the photo and I will say its a Lancaster going on the tail and the wing tips. It looks to me as if they are rounded and not straight like a Halifax. The tail wing is low as on a Lanc and not high as on the Halifax.

I am sure you would have had a lot fun with this in the bonus SIG, A what if camo special. Its not to late, and we can always move this thread....

A Lancaster in Luftwaffe night bomber camo......

Ian M