Tamiya's M1A1 Abrams 120mm Gun MBT

First Name
Adrian
After seeing a History channel programme on the Battle of 73 Easting, I just had to build this awesome bit of kit. Seems last year I built mainly SciFi, this year I'm build conventional kits :smiling3:

I'm building this straight out of the box as a learning project ready to do my M3A3 Bradley later on.

View attachment 107152

Having done so research and speaking to the armour builders in our club I decided to add the non slip surfaces, there are plenty of ways to do this with PVA and sand etc but thought I would try the texture paint from B&Q that a member told me about.

View attachment 107153

I used masking tape and Maskol to mask the top turret after a successful trial on some plastic card, I'm pretty happy with the results.

View attachment 107154

As I have a few long term projects on the go this one will be a slow build but hopefully I'll learn a lot as I go.

Comments welcomed as always

Adrian

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
have seen that stuff about before ,the textured surface ,but never seen it used ,dose look good to me, ;)

D

dougie

looks like one for the memory banks. wonder what will get pushed out this time? maybe the other half's birthday

P

Polux

First at all...nice choice Adrian!

I'm fascinate, this new tip is simply genial. The result looks very good :eek:

Thanks to share it ;)

R

Richy C

Nice , I like the textured paint idea too , how fine is the texture Adrian .

Richy

First Name
Adrian
Thanks all, Richard, it's a very fine mix, I've found its best to apply one thin coat then another once its dry. It appears thick when you apply it but shrinks right back to a great effect.

Adrian

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hmmm think this could interesting!

Lee :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That looks good Adrian ............ I've got half a tin of that in the garage. I used it on an uplighter. Now I know what to use the rest on. Valspar also do a Matt Coat which I use it gives a first class finish and none of that "white speckle" stuff going on.

First Name
Adrian
Progress on my build, took about 2 hours to mask the main body but the texture paint works really good if your going to use this method I'd recommend that you leave it to dry for a couple of days.

Should be adding the wheels tonight after I have undercoated it then I can work on the tracks, luckily they are the rubber one piece ones from Tamiya :smiling3:

View attachment 108010

Comments welcomed as always.

Adrian

002.JPG

N

noble

I saw this at B and Q it was selling for £8.30 a can will need to try it on mine when I get around to it.

scott

First Name
Adrian
Sprayed the primer on my Abrams, then did the top coat on the turret before realising I hadn't pre shaded it, so that's why the two different tones in the picture :smiling3:

Should work out ok once I paint it, I have 3 other tones of sand colour to add as well for variations in the panels.

View attachment 108113

Adrian

001.JPG

First Name
Adrian
Quick update, I'm using Vallejo Model Air for the first time on a large scale and apart from a small clogging issue they seem ok. I've bought the new Flory pigment set and have to say I like them a lot they are much finer than the MIG ones.

I'll try and do a review of them soon.

The main body has had an oil wash and next up is the pigments to really dust it off :smiling3:

Looks like I could have this beauty done by the end of the weekend then I may start the new Bradley with full interior.

View attachment 108333

Comments welcomed as always.

Adrian

001.JPG