Test figure , your thoughts please

C

CDW

Painting the face is a skill that I wish I had like some others on here.... its just continuous practice at the end of the day.

One thing that stands out for me, and is part of the preparation needed to get a good finish before painting starts, is the plastic seams are still visible on the limbs particularly ...and there needs to be filler in the shoulder / body gaps.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi alan , i'm no good at figures either so i'm not the best person to offer any judgement/advice but it looks like a good effort, i think Colin has a point with the seams , but thats nothing that cant be easily done .Like all disciplines in our hobby (or anything actually) , the more you do , the better you'll get ,so in that respect its a fantastic place to start from , cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for your input chaps ill take it onboard I have fifteen faces to work on and remember the seems :

First Name
Jason
A little trick I've used is to flood the body gaps with a little poly cement, a light sanding and a coat of primer after usually sorts them out.

Jason

P

Polux

Is a very nice figure Alan.

I'm not a figure painter too, my little advice so is, do a dry bush (more light) or a dark wash to finish it.

Cheers Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks for your input chaps ill take it onboard I have fifteen faces to work on and remember the seems :
Yikes! 15 ! I dont envy you one bit!! The faces are the bit I struggle the most with, I usually end up fiddling with them too much trying to get the shaded look and end up with them caked in too much paint and either looking like a rotting zombie or a panto dame (or even worse a rotting panto dame zombie) tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Is a very nice figure Alan.I'm not a figure painter too, my little advice so is, do a dry bush (more light) or a dark wash to finish it.

Cheers Polux
Cheers. Polux any idea what colour to use for the dark wash ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yikes! 15 ! I dont envy you one bit!! The faces are the bit I struggle the most with, I usually end up fiddling with them too much trying to get the shaded look and end up with them caked in too much paint and either looking like a rotting zombie or a panto dame (or even worse a rotting panto dame zombie) tony
I can't do faces either I think it's the most difficult part of our hobby, by fifteenth I might just have a method I'm comfortable with :smiling3:

P

Polux

\ said:
Cheers. Polux any idea what colour to use for the dark wash ?
Recently I have discover the oils wash.... to me are more easy to apply than the acrylics.

Mmmmm..... I must try with a very dark/black grey or an umber color (prefer the last one).

Once dry try a very light grey (dry brush)

Hope that helps you