That Japanese Diorama Video is now Live!

J

J Reeve

Hi everyone,

I originally posted in December 2014, asking for assistance on a live-action video ad for a Japanese client of ours that required several realistic dioramas to be built.

I am pleased to announce that the video is now online for all of you to see!

Thanks so much for all the help & direction this forum provided me back in December 2014.

View attachment 113196

I just wanted to let you know that we have now built the models and shot them all, edited and uploaded the video online.

View attachment 113197

The 70 secs ad was shot in London using miniature models painstakingly created by our team of model makers. (It took them 5 weeks to build 5 different sets)

View attachment 113198

The actual shoot took 5 days and the entire video was shot on 16mm film. We wanted to use traditional film cameras to give the video a sense of nostalgia that you can only achieve with a real film grain.

View attachment 113199

Here is the link to our Youtube video that we posted over the weekend:

Would love to hear any feedback from the forum about the video!

GND_Yutaka_01.jpg

GND_Yutaka_03.jpg

GND_Yutaka_12.jpg

GND_Yutaka_16.jpg

P

phikoleoputra

Wow, that is a stunning diorama. Absolutely breathtaking......

J

J Reeve

Thanks Phikoleoputra :smiling3: It was such hard work but great fun as well!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Excellent, wish I had your modellers talent...saying that I would fed up in making something for 5 weeks lol.

Breathtaking visuals, congrats to you and your team for making something outstanding!

My efforts:

View attachment 113200

Yours:

View attachment 113201

Hmmmmmmmm, I think your guys need to give me some pointers lol.

Si:smiling3:

p4227011_zps3zhxiems-jpg.117347.jpg

gnd_yutaka_12-jpg.124242.jpg

J

J Reeve

eddiesolo- Our models were created by paid professionals so the expectation for them to be good was high! The only pointer I could give you is the photography. With the proper lighting, you can make any model look half-decent. Lara Croft needed some more moody lighting!

Airfix Modeller Freak- Thanks for the kind words.

B

Bari

Visually beautifull, Excellent camera work, you couldn't ask for better. Your clients must have been very happy.

J

J Reeve

Many thanks to Papa 695 and Bari!

Our clients were very happy and I hope to turn this into a series of promo videos for them. perhaps the next one could be more of an 'urban' scene...

Does anyone know if there are any awards/competitions I could possibly submit this diorama to? I'm finding it hard to get any results with Google and thought you may know.

D

Deleted member 3568

All I know is, wow that is sooo good, as you say the way it was filmed made it look doubly good, wish I had half the skills shown.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As for awards all I can suggest is that you attend some modelling shows and enter the competition. Although these can be harder than you think as you will need a log showing how the build was built, progress and even your film. The model would have to sit there for the whole show, so could be 2 or 3 days with you or a representative at the set up and all day the final day. Not all shows maybe as strict in certain items as the build log but it is best to check.

J

J Reeve

Eddiesolo- wow! Thats a pretty tough call. As we have 5 separate models- I think that logistically- the logs will be too tough to do as we really didnt log in enough detail each step that the modellers did. Is there a central hub site where I can find a list of all upcoming shows so that I may contact them?

Thanks in advance,

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You can try here: http://ipmsuk.co.uk/events.php or look for events that are closer to home.

http://www.scalescotland.co.uk/competitions.html

It depends on where you are and if you can travel.

One problem could be copyright, if the model makers work for you then as a company the models belong to you, however, if you subcontracted the work to others then it maybe difficult to get permission to show. In competitions the work has to be modellers own.

First Name
barry
Amazing work and photography

not as good as my frame motion movi of tanks with cotton wool smoke in the 50s though :rolleyes: LOL.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just stunning work by you and your team,very well done,

the skill level is great and the attention to detail as well,

gives a real feel of a Japanese garden, :D

what scale did you do it in ?

J

J Reeve

\ said:
just stunning work by you and your team,very well done,
the skill level is great and the attention to detail as well,

gives a real feel of a Japanese garden, :D

what scale did you do it in ?
Thanks very much! The scales ranged between 1:150 (Landscape Scenery) and 1:12 (Kitchen) and 1:10 (Interiors)