The beer cellar - in flats

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi
Something I am doing is planning, planning my first diorama using flats. You may recall this set which I posted in the latest acquisition thread:

0467561D-2D71-4336-A65A-2922C7C5C23C.jpeg
DA0C9FDE-9A15-4F5C-A03C-12704DE6D4FD.jpeg

i've decided to try a boxed diorama of a beer cellar so spent some time playing about with different positions for the figures and barrels etc. as well as thinking about the background and layout ov the cellar. I want something a little more interesting than the one above.

looking at many flat dioramas on the WWW they seem to be a mixture of flat figures with some flat or 3D scenery- all very new to me. Using some card to cut out the main features in the cellar I created some 3D scenes;

EBDC4BC2-0A57-4311-B2EF-FBC16BAC5758.jpeg

There are a lot of figures so I'm opting for a couple of levels and a partly open door hinting at another room. I'm not sure about the above composition; the pillar seems to split the scene and the steps to the right lead you eyes out of the room. I do like not showing all of the large barrels, this hints of the room being larger than just what you can see.

here is version 2 with the pillar moved to the right:

095BCBBB-998E-4E43-9E9B-041E257C06D5.jpeg

the placing of averything is a bit rough and ready but I prefer version 2, to which I will add some steps next to the pillar and possibly som alcoves behind the two standing figures.

Now I need to decided whether the piller is going to be in 2D or 3D. 3D would be easier to paint!.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Very interesting. I don't think I've seen a dio made using flats.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This looks interesting and something different. I will follow along.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very interesting. Funnily enough, I like the pillar position better in the first image, but agree the steps are not helping…have you tried steps in the left, so they just become back drop, and the two guys on the second level moved to the other side of the pillar? This will make the room seem like it extends to both sides of the frame?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter the depth gives it that something. Definitely will follow .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

This looks like a very interesting challenge. I hope you don't mind but I decided to try to render your cellar in Blender. Not perfect but I think this could be a good use of this type of software to try out dio's and lighting.

Peter cellar 1.png

John

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Nice work John - very atmospheric. A little too complicated for me, I'm opting for something a bit simpler.

a bit more time was spent working on the layout and decided to simplify the design by lowering the rear platform to a single 3mm step - just enough to ensure the figures in the back row are visible.

I decided on the rough size of the inner box based on what size I need for the figures. Normally I would build it out of plywood but for the moment, and for obvious reason, I am keeping away from power tools so i used some off-cuts of thick card from my bookbinding project. It is 3mm thick and really dense and strong, but can be cut with a sharp knife.

Two more parts were made; the doorway and the pillar. The latter was made from two pairs of chopsticks from Wagamama.

After some time placing and replacing the door, pillar and figures I had a layout finalised which has resulted in this:

3D1B586C-D43D-44C8-B438-3AF21AAE4196.jpeg

the rear wall was covered with some textures plastic card i have had for years - can't remember why the project bought it for!

I have a photo frame which I will cut to size and can adjust its final position from this rough placing:

image.jpg

Next - the fun of painting the figures

Peter

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,

I'm looking forward to the figures. I presume the same techniques are used as for normal figures or do you rely on more shade and highlights?

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Paul

Yes, pretty much the same techniques. I have been reading Michael Taylor's book "the art of the flag tin figure" and will follow his advice and use oil paints over an acrylic undercoat.

the biggest difference with painting round figure is the amount of contrast shade and shadows needed to create the 3D effect. I have never been very good at getting enough contrast on my round figures so this will be a challenge! but it will hopefully help my technique for painting round figures - time wiil tell.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Progress. Very interesting to see how it develops.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very interesting. Funnily enough, I like the pillar position better in the first image, but agree the steps are not helping…have you tried steps in the left, so they just become back drop, and the two guys on the second level moved to the other side of the pillar? This will make the room seem like it extends to both sides of the frame?
I agree with you Tim about the pillar but IMHO the steps don't detract from the scene at all since they run off to the side. The pillar however draws one's eye to the center of the room, particularly as all the different ceiling coffers terminate at that point as well. IMHO it sort of leads your eye to that point. With the proper lighting it could be very dramatic. Rick H.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

i have managed to finish this. Not quite as good as I had hoped - my excuse is that I have a couple of weeks still to leave my left eye to settle after the cataract op and so do not have very good close vision until I can get my new reading/modelling glasses.

CA94991A-F41B-44B4-8FDF-511C4EBD0BD0.jpeg

The frame is not fixed in place yet, that will happen over Easter when I am allowed to get back into my workshop.

After having done thise i have a new found appreciation for the guys who really can paint flats - it is not easier. round figures are far mord straight-forward.

Peter.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That is really nice work Peter!!! Considering all of the bad luck, so to speak, you've had of late, the finished piece is excellent. It almost looks like a boxed diorama. Do you plan on leaving the frame so large? Or are you going to make a smaller one? I'm in no way familiar with flat figures, but I think the huge frame detracts from the fantastic scene you made. Just my 2 cents Sir..........

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well despite needing time for your operation to settle the end result is very good indeed. Although I've never painted a flat I imagine it to be be extremely difficult. I hope that this has whetted your appetite and we'll see more flats from you.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
That is really nice work Peter!!! Considering all of the bad luck, so to speak, you've had of late, the finished piece is excellent. It almost looks like a boxed diorama. Do you plan on leaving the frame so large? Or are you going to make a smaller one? I'm in no way familiar with flat figures, but I think the huge frame detracts from the fantastic scene you made. Just my 2 cents Sir..........

Prost
Allen
Thank Allen - yes it is going to be a boxed diorama. The frame will be about 0.5 cm thinner all around, the logic for such a large frame is to add emphasis to it being a cellar, which can be quite dark, claustrophobic places.

Peter

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks for that Peter. As I said, I'm a dummy about figures, but this scene is eye catching and does look fantastic. I guess that's me sitting in front of the door, on the right. The only thing I can't see, is my mug of beer..................Maybe I've had one too many there.......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Forgotten all about this one. Glad to see it make a reappearance though, and glad you are recovering well Peter. The scene has come out very well, with a nice degree of three dimensionality. Especially like the way the barrels draw the eye into the scene. Any more flats in the offing?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Peter, When you say "boxed", do you mean like a shadow box type setting?........I really like it and to me it is very 3D looking for what is referred to as "flat"......you have done a very convincing presentation there Sir.:thumb2: