The best bare aluminium in a spray can?

T

TonyBv9

Hi everyone,

I'm a born-again modeller and really just a beginner. I joined the forum a while ago, and I have searched the threads looking for the answer to this one. Basically, I am limited to brush painting acrylics and a few tins of spray paint that I can use in the garage. I have steered clear of bare metal finishes, but now I've got an F86F Sabre to do. Should I be looking at a spray can to get the best finish for this model, And if so, which one? It's 1/72, so I hope to be able to use the same paint on P51s etc. Would it be OK over the Halfords grey primer that I generally use?

Is there a decent, brushable alternative? I doubt it somehow.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

I

Ivor100

Hi Tony,

I have used the rattle cans of silver on an Hasegwa EE Lightning 1:72 and a P51 Mustang 1:72 - it was a Wilkis silver spray general purpose onto the same Halfords grey primer you are using. I ended up with a very pleasing bare metal/aluminium look which can be oversprayed with either matt or gloss varnish (depending on what type of metal finish you need). The only thing I would say about rattle cans is make sure you have enough in the can to do the job and because you have no control over the spray pattern and pressure, it is possible to overdo the paint and loose any surface detail with too much paint laid on. Also some metallic sprays I have found can easily rub off if not careful. As always, the golden rule is experiment on a similar surface that doesn't matter (old plastic sprue for instance), and practice to get the right sort of finish. A high gloss polished look can be achieved by spraying the silver over gloss black which has the effect of enriching the silver finish - again experiment. I sometimes think modelling is 50% experimenting anyway - part of the fun!!

cheers,

Ivor

I

Ivor100

Tony, I should add I've also used Halfords silver car spray paints in the past which of course go well over the grey primer - the Halfords grey primer provides an excellent surface for any paint. Worth looking in Wilkis (Wilkinsons) they have a good range of gloss and high gloss metalics and they don't cost an arm and a leg!!

Ivor

T

TonyBv9

Thanks for the replies gents. Luckily, a new Wilkies has just opened in my high street. I'll get down there. I'm still very much in the trial and error phase - with the emphasis on error, but I'm getting better and most importantly enjoying making models again.

I just wish my eyes were as good as they were when I was 13.

Tony

Last edited: