The biggest enemy of a paint finish…

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Dust…

A tip in combatting this menace, it’s not a full solution as such but it can help a lot…

It was Nigel’s Modelling Bench where I found out about this so I really must credit him and not take it for myself.

It is this..

3DA0B722-617F-482F-8748-143D574B0DEB.jpeg

A hand held table top battery powered vacuum…. I have had one for a few days and it works really well. Before or after a modelling session I now do a quick run around with this to keep dust and rubble down and off the bench. It’s cheap at under £10 on Amazon. Better the sanding dust and rubble in here than on your model (or on the floor).
0D8D6519-1F6D-44B5-A59E-EA3B07E49141.jpeg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Off to buy one, I assume it just a ten win Barry?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I thought the answer to the question was “me”…..
Tool looks useful. Certainly better than just brushing debris on the floor LOL. I am very lucky in that I have two benches, one for building and one for painting. The worst of the detritus is therefore kept off of the paint bench, so this would be of limited value to me. Thanks for showing it though.
To keep the paint bench clean I wipe it and the spray booth down with a damp J cloth occasionally to remove fine dust. It’s surprising what you get off of the booth, especially higher up, but then, if you don’t get anything it probably isn’t doing it’s job. If I’m doing anything with a gloss or metallic finish I clean it before every spray session.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ordered one, like you Tim I have to benches BUT the paint one is in a horrible garage so dust, muck, bugs and cobwebs, I always hoover but the cleaner will be ideal for both areas

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not bad but we already have a dust buster that works as well

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
"The biggest enemy of a paint finish…"
Definitely the wife!!! :rolling: How come I hear you ask? Well - my good lady and I share a workroom. It is a big room so no shortage of space but it is her hobby itself that is the issue. She knits and sews. Wool and cloth are fluffy especially when cut. If I didn't hoover regularly my models would look like they had been covered in flock wallpaper :smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
When I was at work in the" good old days " spraying in a booth was fine, but when you took the item out to dry every fly for miles would make a B line. Later a bigger shop and booth saved all the repainting !

These days any dust on the hull is considered as weathering !

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very fine dog hair - it travels amazing distances, even through closed doors :angry: !
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL I USE the cheapest way an that just blow the dust off an after a few blows its cleans an i ai'nt had any probs :rolling: :flushed: :thumb2::nerd:
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think I'll just stick to the hoover and a damp cloth. Have both of those.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sinuses...you don't know when you're going to give it a good blow...mucus and all. Dammit. Incidentally I don't spray with masks on.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
2 girls....jessie the black floofy heffalump........willow the tortie.........both rescues
Can’t beat rescues, our tabby, Dottie, is a rescue. She was a stray found in my daughter’s veterinary practice. Came down from London to live in Somerset and is now known as the Somerset shrew murderer……except she mostly brings them in alive and then just lets them go. I’ve had to buy a humane trap to catch them overnight and let them out in the mornings.

Last edited: