The end of the P61...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been working on the 1/32 Hobbyboss P61 Black Widow.

In many ways a great kit but also a flawed one. I have experienced many issues in the build with one example being the nose gear, a nice part metal construction to take the heavy weighted nose but with a serious weak point where it fits to the fuselage, thin plastic which broke during assembly. I overcame that with a little scratch building so I expected to finish and for it to last at least long enough to get some completed pics.

There are several other issues as well and areas of engineering genius were balanced by sheer ill considered idiocy - nose wheel being an example.

This evening I was working on the canopy fitting some windows etc. I picked up the fuselage and it fell out of my hand onto concrete.

This is how it looked then....
74175ABF-5336-49D0-8C70-676EC9494AEE.jpeg
Smashed ....

So this is what happened to the model
CD04A6E7-39DB-4F23-8C80-FA4E8D5E5817.jpeg

Binned.

Frustrating but somehow this kit did not want to get built, well not by me anyway.

Oh well, on to the next project.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You've had some bad times recently Barry! What with missing the turret canopy on your TBM, then the problems with your Z-M build and now this. You just gotta plod on regardless and hope things get better - which I'm sure they will.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well the ZM Ta152 turned out pretty good in the end and the second TBM build went really well, as for this one, it was an enjoyable build despite some issues that had to be overcome, the real problem here was my own clumsiness. I did consider cementing the broken nose into place and setting about it with filler and sanding sticks but the damage was far more extensive than that and was not limited to the nose. I just decided to cut my losses and get on with a fresh build which I will do tonight. These things happen....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Barry,
yes, there comes a time when you have to say 'no more' - I had to do it yesterday with my HobbyBoss Fw 190 D-10. Was it recoverable? Yes, but the time and effort to get back to the original state just wasn't worth it, and even then, I don't think I would have been happy with the result..
That's the luxury of having a stash!
Dave

D

Dave S4

Oh hell..... Dropping a model is never good and it's a real shame you didn’t get away with it this time.
I suspect we all know how you felt.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Reminds me a bit of the time I had just sprayed a Tamiya PBR, and had it in my hand as I stepped out of the shed where I used to do my airbrushing. I discovered then that a boat hull makes a very good shape for sliding out of your hand, and of course the model landed upside-down on the concrete paving slabs …

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Seems to be a thing of late My Morris C8 fought all the way and that to did not respond well to bouncing on the floor.
I am sure that the next one on the list will have a much better ending.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What a shame. I think you need some carpet, or a big rug.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
That's a real shame but that's life. I am sure most of us have dropped a model at sometime.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What a shame. I think you need some carpet, or a big rug.
Now there is a sore point. I have a rug but the model missed it! Nevertheless I did ask a contact of mine to fit a carpet in the modelling area (low nap dark or mid blue as I thought it would help show up parts that are dropped) but he never got back to me even though I chased him. I will get around to getting someone else in to do it when I get a chance.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Real shame to see a half build in the bin. I keep my bin as far away as possible so by the time I near it I would have cooled and start to solve it as another challenge. Take my Victor for example...screwed up paint job and 3 years later problem solved with 3 weeks of work and enjoying it.

Barry, there are times though the bin is very tempting and I would like to start a new build but the shelf queens remind me not to. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry that this has failed Barry. It seems that I'm not alone in resorting to the bin of late, which is sort of reassuring. As you say, some kits just don't want to be built. Onwards and upwards!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There is an upside....

Last night I did some initial preparation for my Hobbyboss Sturmovik. This is the second of these I have built and it is a really great kit that I am looking forward to.....

I am not doing a build thread for this one, but I will post a competed thread. It should not be a long build, a month or so I expect and then................

.....I get a real treat........... what was going to be my long summer build, the fantastic Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito for which I will be doing a build thread. I have not decided on what approach I will take to this build yet but I have some masks ready.........

Onwards and upwards as they say.

My stash is getting low now, after the Mossie just the ZM Raiden and Kittyhawk F5E Tiger (a bit of a change from WW2 props....), so I will have to give some thought to what is next and will keep an eye on any new releases, but I do have in mind a couple of possibilities to buy, the Kittyhawk OV-10 Bronco or the HKM Dornier 335....... we will see.........no rush.

Last edited: