The future of our hobby lies here.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
47121730.jpg

If model building skills are to be passed on for future generations then we all need to encourage the youngsters in some small way,not every child has a father gifted in the ability to build models and it is also good to give something back to our hobby,to this end here is an example of what can be done to promote model building,here is a small group that I assist with twice a month,it is the Midland Air Museum Junior model builders club,just look at the faces of these children engrossed with building their models,it says it all,totally engrossed in what they are doing,we can pass on our skills of cutting out parts,building and painting,and above all it can be real fun in the process to share our wonderful hobby with the youngsters.

From crude sometimes over-glued shapes one day will emerge little masterpieces,but remember one thing,always view their work in their eyes and how they see them.

Remember the future of our hobby lies with us,give it a try,you will learn many things yourself along the way,Happy model building !

A

ajg141

Reminds me of my boarding school days in the early 50's! Mind we were still working with gaslight! Veron & Keil Kraft planes and boats were the most popular if I recall. All sanded from pre-shaped balsa blocks. The day one of the day-boys appeared with a plastic Airfix kit was so momentous that our teacher held up the bagged kit at supper to announce the future of model-making! We even had displays & competitions with prizes awarded for the best models. Many of us caught the bug & are still modelmaking today. One of my fellow modellers now runs an F1 team - so there is hope for us all!

Andrew

B

Bluewavestudios

Nice Touch Barry

This is what is Vital to keep the Hobby alive and is exactly the same way I started too, even my Nephew on here now -=nemesis=- is following in my steps...he has been watching me build models for years...ok he has started in cars but he loves my aircraft too and has always shown great interest in all my models....he will do well in the hobby as he is a quick learner...he knows how to sort out I/C engines already and what to do if any problems. Ideal for me coz I know he can take his car out if I am not around and he knows what to do to get it running and enjoy himself.

Regards.....Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice Touch BarryThis is what is Vital to keep the Hobby alive and is exactly the same way I started too, even my Nephew on here now -=nemesis=- is following in my steps...he has been watching me build models for years...ok he has started in cars but he loves my aircraft too and has always shown great interest in all my models....he will do well in the hobby as he is a quick learner...he knows how to sort out I/C engines already and what to do if any problems. Ideal for me coz I know he can take his car out if I am not around and he knows what to do to get it running and enjoy himself.

Regards.....Mark
*** He is very fortunate Mark to have you as a mentor,by tinkering with that model engine will give him a good grounding in basic carburettors,it has been said that after a certain age group people stopped wanting to get their hands dirty and stick their head under a bonnet to find out what was wrong,the back yard mechanic in recent years has been pushed aside because nobody showed him how to do simple tasks,I could go on about this practical education thing having been put through the Comprehensive education system it did me no harm ! at least we whilttled wood,welded and filed lumps of metal into strange looking pipe racks,learned how to bind the spine of a book,made wood & fabric canoes in the evening at school and flew control-liners in the playground at weekends,I just feel that whilst we have more technology now than ever before that vital 'How to glue a piece of wood together' stood us in good stead for the rest of our life.

Whilst we cannot compete with the way the education system works at least we can try and do our own little things like this for these budding young modellers.

=Nemesis you are a very lucky lad= good to know that you are enjoying your models and learning along the way.

First Name
Grahame
In September the Teesside Model Flying Club invited a local scout group to an evening of flying using 2 of the club trainers. The weather was freezing cold, wet and windy but everyone enjoyed themselves, the kids, scout leaders and parents and not least the few hardy club members who turned up to man the TX / buddy boxes etc.!

The hobby needs new blood and TMFC are a very forward-looking club, events like this bode well for the future if we can only keep the enthusiasm going.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
In September the Teesside Model Flying Club invited a local scout group to an evening of flying using 2 of the club trainers. The weather was freezing cold, wet and windy but everyone enjoyed themselves, the kids, scout leaders and parents and not least the few hardy club members who turned up to man the TX / buddy boxes etc.!The hobby needs new blood and TMFC are a very forward-looking club, events like this bode well for the future if we can only keep the enthusiasm going.
*** Your club is a credit to the model flying movement,well done and may the club prosper knowing that you are putting something back into the hobby,lets hope that more clubs will not just think about themselves but do something to encourage the youngsters,there are some brilliant young flyers out there that are hooked for life,every now and again the BMFA newspaper highlight some of these success stories,very heart warming. :bravo: your club is :no1: Greyhead.

F

fli48rc

Its nice to know that the same attitude of give back is alive and well around the world.

Here is a link to a newpaper article about the Electric Club I am a member of, that talks about this same topic. Our Club is about 120 members strong and the fellow mentioned is the Club Treasurer.

http://www.skywaynews.net/articles/2005/01/10/news/news01.txt

It was my Dad that got me modeling so many years ago, watching him build, fly, and crash, build, fly, and crash. He even was awarded the "The Best Bush Pilot Trophy" 3 years running by his RC club, but he kept doing it, and instilled that same interest into me.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Its nice to know that the same attitude of give back is alive and well around the world.Here is a link to a newpaper article about the Electric Club I am a member of, that talks about this same topic. Our Club is about 120 members strong and the fellow mentioned is the Club Treasurer.

http://www.skywaynews.net/articles/2005/01/10/news/news01.txt

It was my Dad that got me modeling so many years ago, watching him build, fly, and crash, build, fly, and crash. He even was awarded the "The Best Bush Pilot Trophy" 3 years running by his RC club, but he kept doing it, and instilled that same interest into me.
*** You see Mark this is proof that it works,another happy modeller gained because someone cared and was prepared to devote a bit of time with you,even the crashes were part of the education ! thanks for this interesting link.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Mark,I have just read this again,excellent idea and just goes to show the benefits of electric flight as well,obviously a good working relationship with the owners of the dome as well,we have the London dome which has also been used to fly small models,however the authorities do not allow spectators due to security measure,you are so lucky to have this excellent facility,more power and happy flying to you.

B

bartley

It was great to see those youngsters building instead of destroying. I wonder if there's a market for bus shelter and 'phone booth kits so the vandals can do both?

Steve.

ps. a flying bus shelter? I recall from many years ago, (circa 1066), that, in order to prove that anything can be made to fly, some guys built and flew a flying cow and a wedding cake complete with little bride and groom models!