"The start of the charge." 4th Queen's Own Dragoons at Salamanca - Perry 28mm.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
I was technically working from home today, but the weather's shite and there was bugger all happening, so I cracked on with some painting and got Trooper No 2 done. Gave him a Chestnut with a white sock and a blaze. Think my neddies are improving, the only one I'm not really happy with is the Trumpeter's grey. I may have to redo it.

_20230714_144115.JPG_20230714_144056.JPG

I've now got to drive down to Cornwall in the pissing rain for a weekend of Leadership and Development training. Deep joy. I can't wait.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was technically working from home today, but the weather's shite and there was bugger all happening, so I cracked on with some painting and got Trooper No 2 done. Gave him a Chestnut with a white sock and a blaze. Think my neddies are improving, the only one I'm not really happy with is the Trumpeter's grey. I may have to redo it.

View attachment 486371View attachment 486372

I've now got to drive down to Cornwall in the pissing rain for a weekend of Leadership and Development training. Deep joy. I can't wait.
Excellent stuff. Good looking neddies there Windy. Only thing I’d add personally is the flesh colour usually seen around the muzzle and nostrils where the hair is thin….Trooper is excellent as well :thumb2:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Excellent stuff. Good looking neddies there Windy. Only thing I’d add personally is the flesh colour usually seen around the muzzle and nostrils where the hair is thin….Trooper is excellent as well :thumb2:

Thanks Tim! There is a bit of flesh colour there, just below the white splash on his nose, but it could probably do with a bit more. I'll add it when I get home on Sunday.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No problem mate. It looks good as it is, but a little flesh around the nostrils will sell it completely….

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

View attachment 486371View attachment 486372

That looks superb Windy :cool:
As for driving down to Cornwall,I do it several times a month and survive.... the trick is, don't look them right in the eye,and,nod sympathetically every time they moan about the amount of emmets clogging up their roads;)....
..... Reckon you'll get out in tact that way:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great going Windy, and so small , most impressive .

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
That looks superb Windy :cool:
As for driving down to Cornwall,I do it several times a month and survive.... the trick is, don't look them right in the eye,and,nod sympathetically every time they moan about the amount of emmets clogging up their roads;)....
..... Reckon you'll get out in tact that way:thumb2:

Cornwall turned out to be great fun and I escaped relatively intact, apart from my liver. That took a savage beating! As a result I didn't really achieve much on Sunday.

I redid Neddy's nose though, and I got one of the dozy Frenchman done yesterday. Looks like he's had too much Ricard!

_20230718_085023.JPG

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Cornwall turned out to be great fun and I escaped relatively intact, apart from my liver. That took a savage beating! As a result I didn't really achieve much on Sunday.

I redid Neddy's nose though, and I got one of the dozy Frenchman done yesterday. Looks like he's had too much Ricard!

View attachment 486520
These are outstanding Alex. The grey and the chestnut are particularly remarkable!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving that…..those Perrys have real character. Pity they are a pig to clean up usually though.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks chaps! Glad you like 'em. I wasn't sure about the grey - the head looks ok, but I think the body needs work. And I agree Tim, the Perry sculpts are lovely but they do need quite a bit of tidying up!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry for missing this gem.Really looks great Windy.Amazed at the finish on such a small.scale.
Jolly well done.
Richard

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi all. Apologies for the hiatus, I've had a revoltingly busy couple of weeks. Despite that progress has been made. The dragoon Sergeant and a pair of indolent Frenchies. Three more dragoons to do then time to make the base.

_20230730_120414.JPG_20230730_120341.JPG_20230730_120316.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Getting there. All the figures now done and I'm ready to make a start on the groundwork. Just need to make a decision on placement - should the officer and trumpeter be in the centre of the line, or just forward of it?

_20230808_000824.JPG

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice paint job Windy. This will look great when finished. BTW did they not have a guidon (colour) in the front line also?

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice paint job Windy. This will look great when finished. BTW did they not have a guidon (colour) in the front line also?

John
I don’t think British cavalry carried a guidon on campaign John, though I must admit I’ve done them in the past because they look cool……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Windy. Probably not your thing, but did you see the two guys with the Peninsular pistol on the Antiques Roadshow on Sunday? It was the Perry twins, who sculpted these little blokes……

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Looking good Windy. Probably not your thing, but did you see the two guys with the Peninsular pistol on the Antiques Roadshow on Sunday? It was the Perry twins, who sculpted these little blokes……

Yes, I did, recognised them straight away, and the pistol which is on their website. It belonged to their many times great grandfather (I think) who was an Officer in the 45th Foot and who fought throughout the Peninsular War. And absolutely my thing - I have a small collection of antique firearms, most still in working order!

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex

John
Thanks! I just hope I don't screw up the groundwork! No guidon though. As Tim said, British cavalry didn't carry them on campaign.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes, I did, recognised them straight away, and the pistol which is on their website. It belonged to their many times great grandfather (I think) who was an Officer in the 45th Foot and who fought throughout the Peninsular War. And absolutely my thing - I have a small collection of antique firearms, most still in working order!
Good to hear most of those arms are in working order Windy....if they don't shoot they are only good for cracking Walnuts. ;) In answer to your question, I would think that if the Officer was going to lead the charge he would be ahead of the line and the bugler beside him to signal any orders shouted during the battle. Just me own thots.:thumb2: