The Stoic Arms

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Made a start on this over the last few days while the rest of the family have done the chaos of Xmas and left me in peace! :D (I haven't spoken to a soul for two days and it's been great!)

This is the ground floor and it's straight out of the box except for a couple of details. I painted all the door hinges and I've covered the roof sections with ready-painted paper in a slate tile pattern that Ron helped me find. It's over scaled but it covers up the connecting lugs which show on the kit and I reckon it looks much, much better. At least it does now I've put two layers on as I got the first layer upside down! I'll go round all the white edges with a dark felt tip once I've done them all.

DSC02338.JPG

DSC02339.JPG

DSC02340.JPG

DSC02341.JPG

DSC02342.JPG

DSC02343.JPG

DSC02344.JPG

DSC02345.JPG

The build itself is straightforward and so far there have been no fit issues - even though it's not perfect. A lot of the parts (there are well over 100 for the first floor!) are a bit delicate, but once assembled everything is quite sturdy - a necessary quality for this kit as it's designed for use in wargaming.

There are window frames still to be added but they're not glazed. I have some thin acetate sheet I can use for glazing, I've just got to work out the easiest way to cut and fix it. I think CA will be OK as it won't fog the acetate - am I right with that?

I've put it in the Dio section as I intend to add furnishings and people. On that topic, can anyone suggest the best way to remove the bases from the figures which are made from lead-free pewter?

First Name
Dave
Looking good, I use pva or canopy glue for gluing glazing I can never get cyno to work very well on anything.

Dave

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats real nice Dave,so what age do you have planed for this one,?

what I do is just clip around the feet then file then down, ;)

D

dubster72

That's looking very nice already Dave, I'm sure I can begin to smell the beer fumes!

I reckon a flickering led in that fireplace would look good - just in case the builds not complicated enough already ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks folks.

Dave - I wasn't sure PVA would be strong enough. The frames are very tiny and I was thinking of using just a few pin drops of CA rather than trying to coat the whole frame with glue. I'm still working on it though.

Moni - I wanted a sort of medieval look to everything, but I couldn't find any figures that weren't soldiers or in fighting poses. I settled for some Wild West figures from Knuckledusters. Although some have guns, they're not fighting and many are unarmed doing civilian stuff like playing cards, shopping, digging, customers and staff in a shop/bar etc. (along with some surprise figures!). What do you use to cut your bases? I've got a couple of old pairs of sprue cutters which are fine for the bases on plastic figures. Would they do the job on metal ones or would I need something heavier?

Patrick - I have got fires for all the fireplaces, but they won't be flickering! All that stuff with electrics is far too complicated for a simple chap like me!

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks folks.
Dave - I wasn't sure PVA would be strong enough. The frames are very tiny and I was thinking of using just a few pin drops of CA rather than trying to coat the whole frame with glue. I'm still working on it though.

Moni - I wanted a sort of medieval look to everything, but I couldn't find any figures that weren't soldiers or in fighting poses. I settled for some Wild West figures from Knuckledusters. Although some have guns, they're not fighting and many are unarmed doing civilian stuff like playing cards, shopping, digging, customers and staff in a shop/bar etc. (along with some surprise figures!). What do you use to cut your bases? I've got a couple of old pairs of sprue cutters which are fine for the bases on plastic figures. Would they do the job on metal ones or would I need something heavier?

Patrick - I have got fires for all the fireplaces, but they won't be flickering! All that stuff with electrics is far too complicated for a simple chap like me!
Tut tut Dave! Have you forgotten the unconventional modellers favourite shop?

75413_23.jpg

http://www.poundland.co.uk/flickering-tea-lights-3-pack

It'd be easy enough to adapt them.... I think! ;)

P

Polux

Very good work so far, Dave!

Mmmmm....these kits offer some amazing possibilities....:eek:

I really like them....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, for my superquick card building windows which are the same as yours, I use UHU general purpose glue in a tube. Be careful a lot of this type of glue are stringy - UHU is not and works a treat.

The building looks well, old lad.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Does look superb Dave, I have used PVA on windows and also UHU, both seem to work well.

You could try scoring the metal bases with a sharp knife and then very slowly bending until they break away, just sand back any excess.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
That's it, but any clear general purpose glue will stick your windows......Just make sure it states 'Non stringy' on the tube.
Anyone know what the Polish for 'non-stringy' is?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Amazing what you can find out on here innit?! :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, if you think Si's Polish is a bit dodgy (Don't we all!) Get to the shop and secretly squeeze some glue onto your finger and see for yourself if it is indeed 'nie zylasty'.

P.S. Be prepared to run when you get caught experimenting though!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave, if you think Si's Polish is a bit dodgy (Don't we all!) Get to the shop and secretly squeeze some glue onto your finger and see for yourself if it is indeed 'nie zylasty'.
P.S. Be prepared to run when you get caught experimenting though!
What? After experimenting with tube glue that I haven't used for nearly 50 years! I'll have stuck the tube to one hand and the other hand to a display shelf! Not to mention having the box stuck to my nose where I've tried to use my teeth to free one of my hands.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
One of the problems of using PVA is that it takes ages to dry firm enough for you to handle the pieces. I've used CA where I can to speed things up a little, but waiting for things to dry means jumping ahead to the next sections on the instruction sheet. You can never have too many clamps can you?

DSC02352.JPG

... and they can come in all shapes and sizes (did you see what I did there?):

DSC02353.JPG

PVA needs pressure to create a proper joint so I've weighed down the roof pieces where they're stuck to my paper tiles.