The ultimate scratch building kit

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have been trying to learn a new model making technique. The learning curve is quite steep but after a month I am beginning to see some progress. For me this is ideal, no smelly paints or glue, no tools required infinite range of models can be built, and the required storage space for finished pieces is zero.

I am talking about the software for CGI (computer Graphics) called Blender. What is more the software is completely free, and teaching videos exist in their thousands to teach you how it works.

Now only using it for a month I have cobbled together this model. All the lighting and colouring you do yourself within the software and remember this is a completely 3D image so it can be looked at from any angle and, as the cherry on the sundae, it can be animated and rendered into a video.

cabin.jpg

Now this image is way from being great but imagine what could be made as a diorama given the time and developing a few more skills. Hey ho no more plastic cutting and glueing. At least for me.

John

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Very nice. Looks good.

It is quite amazing what free software there is. A while ago I downloaded Sculptres which is a 3D sculpting program for organic shapes rather than buildings.

petet

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

You are quite right. Blender is for everything, sculpting figures or busts, hard surface modelling and even atmospheric or space environments. Amazing stuff.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think I'll try my hand with this...something to learn but I still prefer looking at a solid 3D model than one on screen...gone through too many cgi post productions that I need to feel the actual stuff in my hands. :smiling2: Cutting and playing with clay is still fun for me.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think it could be useful in helping you to plan, create a scene or diorama before building as a sort of concept tool but I would hate to think how many people would go jobless and starve if the entire hobby world decided to jump on this cloud and bin their "real" world tools , plastic and all those smelly, Planet destroying chemicals Just a thot while coffeeing up. :thinking:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I used to have access to both Studio Max and Poser 3D got rather good at them both. Lost the use of them just as the 3D printer market started to kick off for 'private'.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Guys

i downloaded Sculptress but never really used it - much prefer 'pushing putty. I must admit that if I sculpted busts as a job rather than a pastime I would have moved to 3D software, it has to be the way forward for professionals.

however, because of my own stupidity I am sitting here one-handed for the next 5 weeks and unable push any putty so it seems to be an ideal opportunity to get to grips with it, or Blender.

Which leads me to the advice I need; which is best for sculpting busts; Blender or Sculptress. I have no experience of any 3-D software, but I do have a Wacom graphics tablet.

all thoughts and advice welcome.

petrt

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
This is very interesting, but I think I'll stick to trying to put model kits together. :smiling2:

• Haha

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Funny, I had the opposite feeling! After many years in the 3d world I returned again to the glue-and-paint hobby :smiling5:

I felt frustrated that all my models were inside the computer instead of on the shelves!
Yes there is 3d printing now, but it is so expensive and not all 3d models are printable depending on how they were designed (planes, opacity/bump maps etc)

But 3d is a nice hobby too, Have fun!
Steven

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great range of comments guys. Andy you could produce a floor plan for example but if that is want you need to do I would suggest Sketchup which is a simpler and also free software, suited to architects. Blender is a full CGI system including sculpting, painting, animating, lighting, camera tracking, compositing and final video editing.

Peter in my opinion Z-brush is probably the software of choice for sculpting busts, but it is quite expensive. You can do everything in Blender, but if you want to 3D print the result you have to be very careful with the topology and you will probably need to buy extra software to make the transition from screen to printer.

Beware if you want to do all that you will need a computer with the power of a Formula 1 car.

John

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi John

thank for your thoughts.

i have heard elsewhere that Zbrush is the ine to use, but as you not, it is expensive and I cannot justify that level of expense - sculpting is a hobby rather than a job. I think I'll stick with Sculptris which seems to be the 'little brother' of Zbrush .

peter

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi John

thank for your thoughts.

i have heard elsewhere that Zbrush is the ine to use, but as you not, it is expensive and I cannot justify that level of expense - sculpting is a hobby rather than a job. I think I'll stick with Sculptris which seems to be the 'little brother' of Zbrush .

peter
There's an updated version of sculptris now called z brush light, or mini or something. Which is free. there are loads of tutorials online. Must do it myself sometime, makes good sense for you to try whilst you are one handed. Who knows,it might be the future?
Keep us posted and good luck
N

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
good start ,John.
I'm sure you will get to grips with this.
I only wish I had the time to devote to it-should have done it when I was on furlough!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Most impressed with the last photos John, you certainly are making good inroads .
Agree with Rick about the possibility of working out a diorama before you physically set too .

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I decided to see what I could do in Blender for sculpting a bust.

So here are the first stages of trying out my new skills. Much more to do on it and the results are still somewhat rough but I think this is a great tool.

View attachment 445075

John
Mother!!!

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good to see the computer being used for things other than msm and other dross. Still toying with the idea of 3D resin printing once i get the hang of this gluing one bit to another. Well done John with your early efforts.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for the interest guys. I am in steep learning curve mode with lots of experimenting. I have decided to make my man into a WW1 Tommy bust, just to see what can be done. So here is my next step with some hair and an approximate 1914 cap.

sculpt 6.png

Now moving on to some clothes etc. This is really turning into a fun exercise.

John

First Name
Noel
There is a 3D modelling program that is completely free of charge that has been developed for rapid prototyping by RS Components. It is named 3D Spark Mechanical and is aimed at engineers to develop new products. You will need a 64 bit PC to run the program. So if you want to dip your toe in the water this may be worth a look.