Thinking of getting this

J

John Huggins

TOP OF RANGE AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR AND 2 DOUBLE ACTION AIRBRUSHES AND HOSE

Thinking of getting this as my christmas prezzy any thoughts

M

munkster

Apart from my gravity AB having a cup that's not off to the side as per that pic I have the exact same kit which I bought in about January from Absolute Airbrush (who are very friendly and responsive) on eBay. Still (fingers crossed!!) going strong but I did find that one of the rubber seals came off/disintegrated after not too long during cleaning and I believe the seals on these brushes won't stand up to certain thinners if using enamels (someone help me out here!). That said I put it back together and still seems to work fine but I am only using acrylics on mine. I have since treated myself (via our forum's leader "John" of this parish) to a second hand Iwata AB which is clearly a much nicer product.

People on here may well implore you to pay a little extra and I think there is an element of "buy cheap, buy twice" with these kits but if you're not sure (as was I) about laying out for an expensive airbrush and compressor they are clearly a cheap-ish way in. Many seem to suggest that the compressor with the tank on the bottom is a better option but I've had no problems with the model in the picture; I even dropped the compressor on the floor after not noticing it walking across the bench, durrrr.

So, in summary, I'm pretty happy with mine but I do know some people have some worse experiences so maybe wait for a few more opinions!

T

tecdes

Yes have the same compressor model as this one John for about 3 months works perfectly. It replaced a different compressor which was broken & which had a pressure tank. Did not notice any difference at all between the two as far a performance was concerned except that the new one as above has a much more attractive noise. Studied paint work produced from both compressors & there is no difference.

Went into this matter of pressure tanks at the time & found from a couple of sources info. Seems that the diaphram old models did have to have pressure tanks to smooth out the air flow.

Told that the new compressors, which are piston based, overcomes the surge effect. I was informed by the headman at Everything Airbrush, 25 years in airbrushes apparently, the advantages & disadvantages. If you are using the airbrush intermittently as most in our type of modeling then you do not really need a pressure tank. But the motor will run all the time the brush is in use so you have a continual noise factor. If you use the airbrush continually or near that extreme then buy a pressure tank type as there will be far less noise as the motor will run only to top up the tank. Continual or heavy use running of a tankless compressor will overheat the motor & wear out the compressor considerably quicker.

Laurie

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I would look at the AS186 or AS189 because they both have a receiver tank which will stop pulsing and save wear on the motor making it last longer, I have had a few cheaper airbrushes and never really liked them if you can look at a iwata or other good brand airbrush its worth stretching your budget a little.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To Lauries comments I would just add that prolonged use with one of the "cheaper" compressors of the type in the photo, often results in the rubber flap valve melting.

I also found that even in the time it took to prime a 1/48 aircraft of normal size it would get pretty hot which increases the condensation risk and the constant running was also very annoying ! OK they are not that noisy but I build to relax.

I went the expensive compressor and cheaper airbrush way, and upgraded the airbrushes as and when the funds where there.

Ian M

D

delmonteman

Same compressor. No issues at all in about 8 mths. (apart from it annoying the dog when "walking" across the floor). The cheapo brushes were fine too but have got worse with time. I've "half" upgraded since with a Spraymaster brush (can't get the price of Iwata past the missus!)

B

Bill's Bunker

Air brush kit.

Hi John,

I agree with the other John, a compressor with a reserve tank is a very good idea! It means you get a continus flow of air without any pulsing, some even switch off for a time when the tank is full, then back on when needed. I recently brought one from Everythingairbrush via eBay. My cheap Chinese brush came from there too, but I will buy something better later. Take a look at the AB-AS-189A.

My old compressor got very hot and would stop to cool down, before bursting into life again.

We all have to start somewhere, the kit and tricks come with time and a learning curve, which with most hobbies means years.. mostly Enjoy.

Regards

Mel.

Last edited:
J

John Huggins

Well thanks to all your comments, i have decided to go for it, as most of you say u got to start some where & this is as good a place as any.