Thinner

P

prw001

This may sound a daft question, but do I need to mix thinner with the paint before I use it?

I'm using Humbrol enamel paint. Also, if I do need to mix thinner, how much do I add and is it something you mix separately or just add straight to the 14ml tin of paint?

I was given the link to this website yesterday and have found it to be extremely helpful so far :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome aboard,not a daft question at all. Are you painting the Humbrol enamel with a brush or are you planning to spray it? How you will use it makes a big difference to how or whether you need to thin it. Let us know and someone will be able to give you some guidance.

While we're on the subject of enamels (Humbrol or anyone else's) make sure you really give the stuff a good stir before you use it. Stir it until you think it's done and then do it again!

Cheers

Steve

P

prw001

Thanks Steve.

I've already come across the 'stir and stir again' scenario, after it took 6 coats to make a section look half decent!

I'll be painting with a brush; while an air brush is very appealing, I feel I should get the hang of the basics before I move, but it's certainly something I'll be looking at in the not too distant future, which I'm sure will bring a whole other load of questions :smiling3:

The model I'm working on is the Titanic and I'm just about to start painting the black section of the hull, so wanted to make sure before I did any more.

Thanks

Paul

B

Brickie

For brush painting, in my experience you need to thin it just enough to make it flow nicely, which often isn't much at all. Definitely practice on something else (I use plastic Coke bottles sprayed with Halfords plastic primer) to make sure it's working how you want it to work, before doing anything with the Titanic...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As Matt says the paint just needs to flow from the brush. Very often with Humbrol paints you won't need to thin them at all for brush painting. If the paint seems a bit thick or gloopy a few drops of thinner (I've been using cheapo white spirits for Humbrol for twenty odd years with no problems) will loosen it a bit. Don't over work the paint and leave plenty of time between coats,there's always a temptation to rush a bit, and you'll have a nice finish.

I'll also second Matt's advice about a practice run. I don't drink fizzy pop so I use old plastic milk 'bottles' for the same thing.

Good luck with the Titanic!

Cheers

Steve

P

prw001

Thanks guys, I don't drink fizzy drinks either, but I've got some empty bottles of water, so I've just primed one of those and will test on that.

After me saying they are Humbrol paint, I've just checked and they are actually Revell; some came with the Titanic kit and they are Schwarz; I assume that won't make any difference and the same advice applies?

By the sound of things the paint just needs to be slightly less thick, but not runny?

E

Edgar Brooks

Paint consistency changes with temperature, so, unless you're working in a perfectly controlled environment, paint, in winter, will be thicker than in summer. You'll also find that some colours (no matter who the manufacturer might be) have little "body" (red and yellow are prime examples,) and need a white undercoat, first, otherwise you'll be painting until the cows come home (to quote my grandmother.)

P

prw001

Thanks for all your advice, it's been most helpful.

I've just come to thin the black paint that came with the kit and it appears considerably thinner than the Revell enamel paint I had to purchase separately, is it possible that the supplied paint is acryclic? How can I tell and, if it is, I assume this won't need to be thinned?

Thanks in advance :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It doesn't really smell of anything, to be honest
Then it's probably an acrylic. It should say somewhere on the bottle/tin. If not it should have some kind of numbers you can reference. I'm not familiar with Revell paints and I don't brush paint acrylics much anyway but someone will be along who can offer some advice.

As far as temperature goes Edgar makes a valid point. I store my paints indoors,ie at room temperature and paint at that temperature too. Not perfectly controlled obviously but within a fairly narrow range. This avoids any temperature related surprises!

Cheers

Steve

B

Brickie

Might be acrylic then - enamels usually have a distinctive smell of linseed oil. try painting something with it and then immediately running some water over it. If it washes off, it's (water-based) acrylic, if it doesn't it's enamel.

P

prw001

It washed straight off, so it's clearly acrylic. I assume this doesn't need to be thinned down then (with water)?

B

Brickie

Depends on the consistency of the paint. If it's too gloopy, it might dry with brushstrokes still visible or blot out fine details. It's best to thin it a bit - again try it on a piece of scrap and see how it goes on and how it dries.

M

m1ks

great advice so far. Avoid mixing the two however, use one or the other. thinning is relative rather than paint specific for brush use, I find most model paints brush better when thinned slightly, especially humbrol/revell enamels. for thinning acrylic, water should be fine unless it's tamiya in which case tamiya thinner or isopropyl alcohol, (local chemist will stock this, you may need to explain what you want it for, quick tip, don't buy a packet of straws at the same time!)

P

prw001

This has been a massive help to me, thanks to everyone for your input. I thinned the acrylic with a little water and everything seemed to go okay. I had a couple of very small bleeds on the hull, but I managed to touch it up with a small brush. Overall, I'm pleased with the result so far, for my first attempt anyway :smiling3: