Thinning AK 3rd Gen paint.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Having heard nice things about these paints, I ordered a couple from John last week.

Typical numpty eejit, I forgot to look for thinners.

I've got Ultimate and Vallejo thinners, Tamiya X-20A, 99.9% IPA and good old council pop - aka tap water. What's my best option?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have quite a lot of these paints. For brush work I just use tap water.

For the airbrush I mostly use the same, just giving it bit of time after mixing to fully homogenise before spraying and it doesn't seem drastically different from when I use their specific thinner.

Out of your list I'd probably try the ultimate thinner first since it's been tested with AK3.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have a few bottles of it, and though I only sprayed it once so far, it thinned quite well with plain water.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys. I'll try water first and see how it goes.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have quite a lot of these paints. For brush work I just use tap water.

For the airbrush I mostly use the same, just giving it bit of time after mixing to fully homogenise before spraying and it doesn't seem drastically different from when I use their specific thinner.

Out of your list I'd probably try the ultimate thinner first since it's been tested with AK3.
Dave
Agree with Andy. Also use some AK 3RD GEN thinners but can see no difference to the ultimate thinner.