Thinning Vallejo Model Colour paints

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am used to using Vallejo Model air paints and they come pre-tinned, ready to spray.

But i have a few Model colour paints that i would like to use to spray and they are not pre-thinned. What medium should i use to thin them? Preferably cheap as possible.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
I am used to using Vallejo Model air paints and they come pre-tinned, ready to spray.

But i have a few Model colour paints that i would like to use to spray and they are not pre-thinned. What medium should i use to thin them? Preferably cheap as possible.

98% IPA mate.

I how this helps too
1638742187775.png

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thank you very much Alexander

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I prefer using the vallejo 'airbrush thinner' because it helps the adhesion of the thinned paint (it's sort of sticky)
Cheers, Steven

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I use Vallejo paints all the time. The only thinner I have ever used is plain old water ! Possibly not the best, but it works for me.
John.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

I do it regularly for my British armour. I use their own thinner. I start at a ratio of 1:1 and adjust from there if it's a bit thick or thin.

Depending on how much I'm mixing I use a drop or two of a drying retarder as part of the thinning mixture.

HTH.

Andrew

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Alan,
I always use good South Gloucestershire tap water - very soft water & I don't have any problems with residue in the airbrush - best of all it's on tap - unlimited supply!
Dave

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I started off using tap water but I found that the dried and cured paint was very fragile, allmost chalky and was very easy taking scratches and sucked up finger prints like a sponge.
Use the correct thinners and it was a joy. Hard when dry and didn't scratch, the finish was also much better.
In fairness I will add that our water here is pretty much as hard as it can be :sad:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I started off using tap water but I found that the dried and cured paint was very fragile, allmost chalky and was very easy taking scratches and sucked up finger prints like a sponge.
Use the correct thinners and it was a joy. Hard when dry and didn't scratch, the finish was also much better.
In fairness I will add that our water here is pretty much as hard as it can be :sad:
I have an electric kettle that has been in daily use for 20+ years & the element hasn't furred up ( just using tap water - never been cleaned internally! ). A bar of soap lasts ages - you only have to pick it up and your hands get covered in lather!
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Oh David you rotter you. Cleaning the kettle and coffee maker is a twice a month job here...
Oh David you rotter you. Cleaning the kettle and coffee maker is a twice a month job here...
Ian

I suggest a challenge to see who has the hardest water....I think I might win! ;)

ATB.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Our water is between 16-18 DH which is as high as the scale goes,

• Wow

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Acrylic paint has a propensity to turn chalky when over diluted, especially lighter colours, so it may not be related to water hardness ;) ;) That’s why I tend to use the manufacturers thinner or medium when making washes and glazes :tongue-out3:
Not heard hardness quoted in DH units Ian, I’ve always seen it quoted in PPM?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
16.27 dH here by the way, so our water is well hard innit!
Not as hard as my water which is well harder than yours....17.3 dH!!! ;) :smiling5:

In all seriousness we're apparently in the top 20 of hardest water areas in the country....

Genuinely thanks for the tip on over dilution being linked to chalkiness in lighter colours. Didn't know that was a thing.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not as hard as my water which is well harder than yours....17.3 dH!!! ;) :smiling5:

In all seriousness we're apparently in the top 20 of hardest water areas in the country....

Genuinely thanks for the tip on over dilution being linked to chalkiness in lighter colours. Didn't know that was a thing.

ATB.

Andrew
No probs Andrew, neither did I until it happened to me. I thought I’d got talc in the paint somehow :surprised:

• Haha