This is going to be fun!!

D

dd2356

Just got my Fw190F-8 Eduard kit, (and a new camera for my birthday in 4 weeks time), so thought i'd post a couple of pictures of the etch that comes with it.

To be honest, it looks like i'll be climbing a mountain in terms of learning new things, but that what its all about. I can't beleive how small some of the etch parts are, or how great the dashboard (is that the right term for a plane?) looks.

Also got my airbrush, a Mig productions, for about £50, so i'll need to start parcticing with that. Tomorrow seems like a good time. Look out Big Foot, i'm coming!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That looks the dogs mate, good luck...

By coincidence posty has delivered my FW190 today from ebeegeebeebay, and guess what?

They sent me a 1/48 Typhoon Mk1B instead!!!....................Fine start to the build eh?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice Decals! dd. Any shots of the sprues?

Bet those spinner decals are fun to put on!

F

Fenlander

Lol, looks a very good choice David. What camera did you get?

Ron, I suppose if you did a dio with a big burnt patch being flown over by the Typhoon having just shot down the FW190????? Just a suggestion.

D

dd2356

Its a bit dark, so i've had to use the flash, so not the best shots in the world. There are a few other sprues, and a clear one too with canopy options. Mine will be open i think.

Just for the record, the kit has 325 plastic parts, 2 etch sheets, 2 decal sheets, and a masking sheet. Assembled, it will have a 210mm wingspan. Now you don't get detail like that on many websites, do you!!!

The camera, Graham, is a Fujifilm compact. 10.2 mega pix, and a 2.5 optical zoom.

View attachment 22270

View attachment 22271

View attachment 22272

View attachment 22273

View attachment 22274

sprue 1..jpg

sprue 3..jpg

sprue 2..jpg

sprue 5..jpg

sprue 4..jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm still really tempted I will let you know tomorrow.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dashboard=Instrument panel,then you've got all that lovely stuff on the side consoles as well. There was a thread somewhere here that dealt with photo etch and specifically annealing. It's a must for parts that need bending or rolling. It's a great kit,roll on 1/4!

Cheers

Steve (thinking about which FW190 to do)

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I got the Eduard fw190A-5 I don't have the stencils you have, and my etch parts are different, looking forward to it.

View attachment 22286

P1030282..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I love the precoloured instrument panels and consoles. I speak as a man who has just hand painted this,it was fun I could easily do without!

Steve

View attachment 22287

cockpit2..jpg

F

Fenlander

Two things to remember with Photo Etch. Keep it flat, if you cut it off the frame with a knife cut on a hard surface like a tile or something. Cutting on a soft surface can cause the part to bend and it does not straighten out easilly.

Make sure you have painted everything and that the paint is fully dry before you stick on pre coloured PE. If you get paint on it, you may have problems getting it off.

THREE, three things to remember with PE

Sticking such as the instrument panels should not be done with Super Glue, it grabs too fast and if you get it wrongly positioned, you will not get it off again without bending it use PVA or Gator glue, give it a good length of time to dry.

FOUR, Four things to remember with PE

Another thing with pre coloured PE instrument panels, you must remove any plastic details first so you are sticking the PE to a flat smooth surface, not on top of the switches and dials.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition....... (Showing my age now)

Steve, pre coloured PE instrument panels look really nice but they are flat, there is no raised detail. some still prefer to paint and drybrush the plastic detail to get that 3-D look. In the confines of a small cockpit though, it does look striking.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Graham,

Sorry to nit-pick your excellent comments about PE, but I'd recommend taping a strip of masking tape to the back of your PE before you cut it free. That should stop it 'pinging' off into the ravenous maw of the carpet monster.

Gern

F

Fenlander

That isn't nit picking Gern, that is adding a valid point..... cheers for that.