This year's new birdie life in our garden.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have no interest in technical photography and know precious little about the settings on a camera, so it's auto all the way!

I suppose I'm an 'Opportunist', as I usually have the camera within grabbing distance, and click away.

Here's a selection of birds reared in our garden this year. Plus one lookeroner!

A young female Greater Spotted Woodpecker.
DSC00117 (2).JPG

...with the father (Red cap)
DSC00122 (2).JPG

A curious young Robin.
DSC00126 (2).JPG

A young trio - Robin, Great Tit and a female Woodpecker.
DSC00130 (2).JPG

Kestral. This was about 70yds away on a power line.
DSC01455 (2).JPG

Young Song Thrushes. There were 5 in the brood, all reared successfully.
DSC01995 (2).JPG

Two young Blackbirds with the parent. Four were reared in total.
DSC01682 (2).JPG

I've never seen a Woodpecker with such a small amount of red. Normally, the whole of the top is red on a male bird. No red on a female, so what's going on here is anyone's guess....The young Robin is confused too.
DSC02041 (2).JPG

Five young Blue Tits. At this early age they have no fear, and I managed to get within a couple of feet before they started to get twitchy.
P1200388 (2).JPG

Such luck. Three Woodpeckers!
DSC02001 (2).JPG

Who's that idiot in there with a camera?! This was taken through our conservatory window
DSC02005 (2).JPG

Same post a few minutes later. a young Robin with a snack.
DSC02064 (2).JPG

Don't look at me for food, I'm your brother!
P1200381 (2).JPG

I don't want to overload, but there's a few more pictures if anyone would like to see them.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Wonderful. I'd love to see the rest. They say the largest nature reserve in the country and wildlife's hope for the future are the nations gardens. Yours proves their point :tongue-out:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.

Nice shots Ron, not easy to get up close to some of those........
The youngsters didn't know who, or what was sneaking quietly up on them.

The camera has a very nice 63 X optical and 120 x digital built in zoom lens. Nice for photos of Kestrels on wires and adult birds and wildlife in general....and yes, I am capable of using the zoom function... :thumb2:

Here's a shot of the moon with the camera zoom on full blast and the camera resting on our gate.

DSC01435.JPG

...so zooming up on birdies and things is no problem - even for me!

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice work Ron. You're very lucky to get so many woodpeckers - we get one male occasionally, but we've never seen a female in the garden. We've had a brood of coal tits, a couple of robins, and a couple of blackbirds this year though, but I haven't manged to grab any photos.
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Photos like those you can post all day long mate!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Keep them coming 570. We never see Song Thrushes anymore , have a Kestrel from time to time. Robins did use the nest box this year.
Great photos by the way .

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Absolutely beautiful Ron, love the little birdies, we have quite a few species of various song birds and such.
Robins and blue jays seem to be the dominate little ones.
Humming birds are my favorites with their tiny but brutal aerial dog fighting over flowers and the feeders.

Bald eagles and red tailed hawks with up to a four foot wingspan prowl the skies and one must keep an eye on little "Fi Fi" when she does her business and get back in lickety split!

Ehw3okCIwRNeUcuRREsQHaF7&w=222&h=196&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg:smiling2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Jim,

Are they the 8 year old 101 type or the normal 86 type??? Inquiring minds want to know...…………….

Prost
Allen

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
We have eagles & several varieties of hawk, but the eagles are content with the many fish readily available in the nearby rivers while there are these little drab looking birds that travel in large groups that chase the hawks away & hang out in the trees and bushes around our house so our little poodle feels pretty safe. PaulE