Thoughts on 1/144 scale.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, I've built a few 1/144's of various sorts. There are plenty to choose from including some very nice commercial aircraft and most are excellent little kits......

P1260993.JPG

P1270005.JPG

P1270683.JPG

I think Nick's idea is great, so how about jumping in the deep end and propose a 1/144 Group Build?

It would be good to see how many different types of kit the lads come up with. There is certainly a huge choice.

Just be very careful, there are some awful 1/144 stuff out there.....

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I like the Harrier and the top gun type, it's name escapes me.
Well Revell do a lovely Harrier and their tomcat is supposed to be good as well ( chris has probably done one for his carrier so his view will be good ) heres the HarrierIMG_0821.jpegIMG_0806.jpegIMG_0827.jpeg
Or if you fancy ww2 stuff then the snap together kits from Zvezda are a great intro - not many parts at all but very nicely detailed, you might have to get some better decals though as the ones included are very generic . For superbly detailed kits then Sweet do a good range of ww2 fighters , usually 2 kits in each box and a good selection of decal options , dont be fooled by the cartoon box art though , theyre fantastic little kits , hope this helps cheers tony

ColinW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There was a time I drooled over the 1/24 mosquito, and the Harrier from years ago even the spitfire recently. I once saw an attack chopper that size a long time ago that I would have loved.
Maybe one day I'll get one,though its way out of my skill to do a good job.
And now with space being limited I'm going down the opposite in size.
But the larger size still has a fascination to me.
It doesn't mean never again , but I'll try and resist for the time being.

ColinW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ron
I do like ships too, but the modern planes are interesting to me at the moment in this small scale.
Tony
I do like that Harrier, and I've been browsing , probably wrongly, for 1/144 and can't seem to find that many.

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Revell do a lovely Harrier and their tomcat is supposed to be good as well ( chris has probably done one for his carrier so his view will be good )
TONY W
QOUTE

YES MADE a whole sqr of F14 TOMCATS on my carrier an some with nav lights
an these are revel kits qiute detailed
IMG_4277.JPGIMG_4279.JPG

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well Revell do a lovely Harrier and their tomcat is supposed to be good as well ( chris has probably done one for his carrier so his view will be good )
TONY W
QOUTE

YES MADE a whole sqr of F14 TOMCATS on my carrier an some with nav lights
an these are revel kits qiute detailed
View attachment 506466View attachment 506467
There he goes again!

I feel... humbled?
I feel... Inadequate?
I feel, I REALLy should do some of the 1/144 Soviet 'planes I replaced all my larger scale kits with...
Like moulding an early canopy to do all the MiG-21 prototypes and variants...

Ooh, did someone suggest a 1/144 GB. Maybe I'll propose one in a couple of months time

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Ron
I do like ships too, but the modern planes are interesting to me at the moment in this small scale.
Tony
I do like that Harrier, and I've been browsing , probably wrongly, for 1/144 and can't seem to find that many.
Check HERE
Scalemates is always a useful tool to check what's (or was) on the market.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Colin, as mentioned in my earlier post about the possibilities with this scale...here's one I could never do with a 1/48 or even 72 scale...

cl00035.jpgcl00034.jpg

Look forward to seeing your builds here and hope there will be a GB for this scale.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
After the GBs already listed, there was a Spanish Civil War GB mooted?
So, maybe around September time (My birthday!) I'll propose an all-genre 1/144 GB? Any pre-orders?

ColinW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Colin, as mentioned in my earlier post about the possibilities with this scale...here's one I could never do with a 1/48 or even 72 scale...

View attachment 506618View attachment 506617

Look forward to seeing your builds here and hope there will be a GB for this scale.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble
Cracking , though I can only hope I get one finished and hopefully not too rough :smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hmm, shouldn't the deck crew and tractor be 'speed streaky' too?

Now, I would NOT put that past Wabble's inestimable modelling skills...
Those weren't speed streaks but tyre skids marks. The entire deck would have been blurred if I wanted the speed effect but good point.

Cheers,
Wabble

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Those weren't speed streaks but tyre skids marks. The entire deck would have been blurred if I wanted the speed effect but good point.

Cheers,
Wabble
Sorry, I thought it was like some of the 'streaky ground' display bases I've seen, which do capture a rather nice effect

Oops. Have I gone and set you a challenge now?

I should also have praised the elegent solution of the 'plane in flight with the catapult hook. No launch steam though!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Why would there be launch steam when the aircraft has clearly just picked up an arresting cable?

Simple question from a thick old joiner.....