Three Verlinden 200mm Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6043.JPG100_6044.JPG100_6045.JPG

I decided that I wanted to grab a few of the last remaining Verlinden busts at Historex, so ordered these three (on Boxing Day, delivered Saturday, and they're supposed to be closed until the 30th - way to go Historex). Rather than continual separate posts, I will feature these together. They are all pretty quirky to say the least, and it will be a challenge to get the faces looking human, but the detail is very good on all three, so they should be nice to paint.

Now to decide which to do first.....

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Peter,
Well the foreign legion guys looks good....the other two definitely look a little ‘quirky’ as you diplomatically put it :smiling4:
maybe beards and moustaches would help :smiling5:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
[QUOTE="Si Benson, post: 474674, member: 6571"
maybe beards and moustaches would help :smiling5:
[/QUOTE

Transplant is the only solution for those two. They really must have been churning them out in those days for those to get accepted from the sculptor.
Good luck, Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
They look fun. I guess your biggest challenge, looking at the box art, will be that Prussian.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A nice collation of busts.I had a look on Historex site but didnt find anything like this so lord knows what im doing wrong.The ww1 with Pickelhaube is one i was looking for.
Will pull up a pew.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi chaps. Probably will start with the Prussian, as it looks the most fun - I'm a glutton for punishment.

Richard - When you go onto the Historex site, go to 'Search' type in 'bust', then 'find'. '200mm' should also work.

D

Deleted member 6559

The Prussian then. All parts cleaned up and ready for painting:

100_6046.JPG

A few pinholes in awkward places - on the lanyard, helmet spike and mess tin. The lens of the torch was also damaged so I've replaced it with something similar from the spares box.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Pierre.
I managed to get on Historex site.I liked the old style of site that had before.I ordered the Prussian bust for future reference.I will scale the Pickelhaube for future use as idlike to venture into ww1in the future.More Pandours and Grenzers are on the list and maybe in my 1.12th mini busts as well.
Watching intently.
Richard le mechant.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Yes the newer Historex site is harder to navigate, but they're a great supplier. Sounds like a good idea re the Prussian bust.

Scottie - Hope I can bring them to fruition.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Quite a challenge with the pilot and WWI bust!

They do look quite "insane"!

Head transplants have been suggested, I guess you will know after painting them, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they get swapped out for something less comic!

Its a clear bright morning here, lots of light for the first time in days!

I shall attempt to sit at the table and bend my knee, yesterdays outing of probably under 1,000 metres which took 90 minutes will require some recovery time.

It felt good to walk and be outside but even with the opiates, there is a price to be paid.

Have a good day with the head(s)

Enjoy the light

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Good to hear that you're getting about more, but sorry to hear that it so saps your energy. Day off today?

I have no alternate heads, so these will have to do. They do look completely insane, but war does strange things to people!

Katherine went off to NZ this morning. We haven't been apart for more than a week in the last twenty six years, so six weeks seems like a big deal.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Blast,Historex e.mailed and said stock levels are wrong and the prussian is sold out grr.Hope the painting goes well mate.
Pip pip onk onk
Rich

D

Deleted member 6559

You were lucky Richard - mine's just hit the bin. A bloody awful face. Grrrrr!!!!!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Shame i could have had the head mate and use the pickelhaube.Looking at Historex site i see that a lot of the V.P heads are a bit hmm.Then again i guess some are 20 years old.I have an old Military in scale magazine and Derek holmes did an article on sculpting the demi brigade in egypt bust from 2000.So these are of the time i guess.I have the V.P special forces bust and wow hes got a comical fizzog and a real FUGGLY.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

Well I never learn. The pilot is a no-no too. I thought I might be able to beat the Prussian and USAAF man into submission, but the faces were truly awful. I couldn't replace the heads as I had nothing suitable, and anyway, they had very specific headgear. Destroyed both in a fit of pique I'm afraid, otherwise I would have sent them on to you.

The Demi Brigade bust is one of the few good ones. Here's my version:

100_6048.JPG

Off to see if the Foreign Legion chap is going to play ball.....

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Sorry to hear about your woes with the faces. The Demi brigade head is excellent.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie

The Foreign Legionnaire was also a load of rubbish, so that bit the dust too. A complete waste of time and the last time I buy cheap busts - they were the dregs of the stock for a reason!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Peter, If you can't make those weird faces look nice then nobody can I assume :thinking::smiling2:. You got so much experience with figure-painting, love your work. Cheers :thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Sorry about babbling on about my knee when you have been left home alone!

Well nearly, has Katherine arrived yet?

Your Verlinden busts, were a "bust"! That is really sad that they were all below par.

More recycling? 2nd hand busts from Ali Express? Preparation for a New Years Eve blowout?

We will be having a cheese buffet for 2.

Its a clear frosty start up't North.

Have a good day and Happy 2020

Regards

Steve H