TIE Interceptor

B

beav1013

Here's my TIE Interceptor. It's pretty basic, only 3 colors for the most part, but I think it's one of the coolest looking Star Wars fighters. I was having some problems with the base and the Tamiya clear, but eventually I got it to come out alright. I still hold to the case that painting the "Star Wars" on the base might be the most annoying/frustrating thing I've done with modelling. This is my fourth Star Wars model, with only the Slave I left. That's going to take a while and looks like it will be extremely challenging, so I'm not even going to attempt that for a while.

I used Tamiya paints for this model. I made a custom mix of White, Light Grey, and Blue to come up with the color for the model. The black solar panels I coated with gloss clear while the rest of the model is flat clear. I used a pastel chalk wash to get into the panel lines.

Comments/critiques welcome.

View attachment 25582

View attachment 25583

View attachment 25584

View attachment 25585

View attachment 25586

View attachment 25587

View attachment 25588

View attachment 25589

DSCN2653.jpg

DSCN2649.jpg

DSCN2643.jpg

DSCN2651.jpg

DSCN2650.jpg

DSCN2652.jpg

DSCN2647.jpg

DSCN2646.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I seriously like that. Always loved the tie-fighters and especially the 'screech' they made lol. Also really like the Imperial Star Destoyers. I always wanted a fibre optic one

F

Fenlander

Hi Jim, I am not a Star Wars fan (steps back as rotting tomatoes and cabbages fly in) although I did (still do?) have a severe crush on Princess Leia in the original films, never seen any of the new ones. However, I do appreciate a well build and finished model. That is certainly what this is. It is a superb looking machine, beautifully presented and finished and one to be really proud of.

B

beav1013

Sorry you're not a fan of Star Wars (at least of the original 3), but I do agree with you about Princess Leia. That was a nice outfit...

Thanks for the compliments. I was very happy with how it came out. I was a little nervous about the blue color, but the wash really made it come together.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautifully done Jim!

Which of Leia's outfits are you on about? Bet I can guess .......

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brilliant Jim, that's quite a collection of Stars Wars craft you're building up! You going to do the Millennium Falcon - they do a 1/144 one now (not quite as pricey).

Cheers

Paul

B

beav1013

That TIE Defender is awesome looking. I would love to see that as a model.

Gern - yes, that outfit...

Paul - I really wanted to get the 1/72 falcon, but waited too long and can't get it now without spending probably at least $500. i probably will end up getting the 1/144 one. The wife also wasn't thrilled about the prospect of the 1/72 one being how big it was. i really want it though. maybe they'll bring it back one day...

M

m1ks

Was never a huge Princess Leia fan tbh, I'd certainly vote for her over Jabba the hutt mind.

Fan or not you have to admit the very coolest screen baddie ever is Darth Vader, go on, how many of you wanted a Darth Vader helmet, (I did, in fact I bought one a few years ago, I have used it at a couple of fancy dress parties though in my defence), OK i'll get me coat then :sad:

The only thing I really really wanted was a real lightsaber, if only eh :smiling3: Red naturally.

Re ships the Interceptor is my fave followed by the Imperial shuttle Tydirium. Just love those folding wings.

That model BTW is fabulous, it's nice to see something a wee bit different and that's one to be proud of.

X

X-Wing Ace

Good lord, I'm in love! That Interceptor is fantastic mate, such a good job in the finishing and picking out the panel detail. I was stuck between buying the regular Tie and the Interceptor, went for the regular for £14, but I'm pondering blowing the fuel money on an Interceptor now.

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely lovely model. Perfect colouring and just the right level of weathering. The wash works superbly and picks out the shadows extreemly effectively. I have always loved Star Wars, mainly for the models and effects, and any of the aircraft that were turned into plastic kits hold an attraction to me.

Great job with this one though, will look perfect with an X-wing!

B

beav1013

thanks ace. i use a chalk pastel wash now. i had tried an oil pin wash on the tie fighter but it doesn't stand out the way the chalk wash does (for mine anyway). i haven't used oil washes since that one. good luck with yours.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know much about Star Wars,though living on planet earth I'm not completely oblivious! Like Graham I like to think I can spot a nice model and this is definitely one of them. Lovely job,it looks,well, just like the movie.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a pretty cool tie you got there.

Whats not to like about starwars? But Graham is right, Prinsess Lia was a babe!

Graham, I know you are not into figures that much, but might like this one...

Princess Leia Slave Girl

Ian M

M

m1ks

\ said:
Hi Jim, I am not a Star Wars fan (steps back as rotting tomatoes and cabbages fly in) although I did (still do?) have a severe crush on Princess Leia in the original films, never seen any of the new ones. However, I do appreciate a well build and finished model. That is certainly what this is. It is a superb looking machine, beautifully presented and finished and one to be really proud of.
Are yo seriously telling me you never wanted your own lightsaber Graham? That's just not normal! :smiling3:

X

X-Wing Ace

\ said:
thanks ace. i use a chalk pastel wash now. i had tried an oil pin wash on the tie fighter but it doesn't stand out the way the chalk wash does (for mine anyway). i haven't used oil washes since that one. good luck with yours.
A chalk pastel wash? Why didn't I think of that? I use pastels to weather the Tanks and also Have mixed it in with thinners to create wet muddy effects, but never done a wash with them....must try that ASAP, thanks for the Info.

F

Ferrets Bueller

Superb looking model that you have finshed to a very high standard well done mate