Tim’s 1/48 Eduard Roland CII

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'm quite enjoying all the bi-plane builds. This one being no exception. Superb work Tim. (Especially the tips on smoothing and such - keep em coming).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm quite enjoying all the bi-plane builds. This one being no exception. Superb work Tim. (Especially the tips on smoothing and such - keep em coming).
Cheers Doug. Hints and tips are freely given, so if you want to know anything just shout out….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pre shade now on……
F60D0345-3D1D-4D36-9002-9C1F42FDCDFD.jpeg
Nowhere near as many panels to worry about as WW2 stuff……

121F4654-CBB1-4AA7-8227-73265EBC5556.jpeg
Blue undersides done…..pre shade virtually obliterated :flushed:

22B70488-0E5A-4E05-AFD3-A287485F89C9.jpegRib highlights came out OK, but are possibly a bit subtle…
Masking and topside Camo next……

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great tim , the rib highlights are fine , visible enough. I usually overdo it and obliterate the pre shade too ! cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great tim , the rib highlights are fine , visible enough. I usually overdo it and obliterate the pre shade too ! cheers tony
Thanks Tony, very kind. I usually find it easier to keep pre shade visible on darker colours. I think it’s because darker colours are more transparent (it’s why they make better glazes), and the opaque white pigment in the lighter colours causes the problem.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, purple and green now done…….varnish then some decals next.
BAF8B973-FFBA-4EB9-A338-AC198BD13525.jpeg
The purple is gloss and the green is matt so I’m hoping the varnish stage will even them out. Black tail also done. Lost a bit of the underside colour removing the masking so touched it back in with the Tamiya by brush. Not showing that though……it will look fine under varnish.
After the detail painting is done and some of the decals are on the varnish top coat will go on…..then we rig the little blighter. I’m going to put the threads in place on the top wing before fitting, then thread them through the bottom wing. After that I’ll fill, smooth and touch up the paint on the wings and then add the last of the decals. Once I’m happy final assembly will take place. Sounds easy when I write it like that, but who knows ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think I should follow this as gardening might be involved judging by Dude 1 post.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is very colourful Tim. Good luck with the rigging and final assembly - will be rather fiddly. I'm sure a coat of varnish will even out the finish.
Cheers Jim. I’m sure the varnish will work, and that it will be fiddly as well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A bit further toward here….
Decals on and matted down..
IMG_1833.jpeg

Next job is fit the rigging lines to the top wing. It is therefore only partially matted down.
IMG_1835.jpeg
The area where the decal will go has been left glossed. The idea is to add the rigging lines through the holes (just visible in line with the R on the block), refinish the top wing where necessary, and then add the decal and finish the matte varnish before adding the wing. The underside has already been finished. When the rigging is done the bottom wing will be similarly finished. At least, this is the plan ;)

Prop came out OK though.
IMG_1834.jpeg
Not bothering to paint the metal bit in the middle because that will be hidden under the huge boss.

Cant put it off any longer…..on to the rigging.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colours! I've seen the purple referred to as violet, mauve & lilac as well! Ah well, I imagine these colours weathered very quickly, so any could be correct! ;)
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Colours! I've seen the purple referred to as violet, mauve & lilac as well! Ah well, I imagine these colours weathered very quickly, so any could be correct! ;)
Dave
Colours from this period are very speculative Dave. They would have been hand mixed from linseed oil and pigment powder, and had no varnish content so would change very quickly according to atmospheric conditions.

As an example, I’ve got the recipes somewhere for LSWR railway colours of the same vintage…..it states how much of each pigment is added and how much linseed oil carrier goes in. Nowhere was there a paint standard chip to compare it to, just a recipe. The stock was expected to be varnished afterwards for protection, because the paint had no varnish content, then revarnished at two yearly intervals, without repainting. They were only stripped and completely repainted every eight years. The colours would therefore vary considerably from first paint until just before the repaint eight years later. No reason for thinking these would be any different, except they were probably doped rather than varnished.

In this case I just went with the colour recommendation from the Wingnut wings instructions for the same aircraft as their research was almost certainly more extensive than I could manage. Personally I think it’s all a bit bright for the non synthetic pigments that would have been used at the time, but then I wasn’t there, and neither was anyone else now alive.