Tim’s Hobbyboss 1/48 Fleet Air Arm Avenger MkI

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, progress at last.
Engine is done and painted. These big radials take a bit of work don’t they…..
7F61F20E-86EF-4F79-8166-EE1344AC3FFE.jpeg
575455F1-4F15-4E25-99D9-B7E132B83DA4.jpeg
Complex little beastie….but the only bit that will be seen is “this”….

32A0C350-6F53-43C4-8141-F5294C31A960.jpeg
Not too worried about the loose wires, they will be under the cowling, and I will handle it by the support structure….

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well, progress at last.
Engine is done and painted. These big radials take a bit of work don’t they…..
View attachment 481285
View attachment 481286
Complex little beastie….but the only bit that will be seen is “this”….

View attachment 481284
Not too worried about the loose wires, they will be under the cowling, and I will handle it by the support structure….
First aero engine I ever worked on was a radial. 14 cylinder Avis Leonides Major. 28 spark plugs, 2 magnetos. Beast of a machine to turn over pre start!!!! You had to cycle the pistons 2.5 times to prevent hydraulicing. Can't remember how many times you have to turn the hand crank!! Those pics just brought it all back. (That was 50 + years ago!!!)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
First aero engine I ever worked on was a radial. 14 cylinder Avis Leonides Major. 28 spark plugs, 2 magnetos. Beast of a machine to turn over pre start!!!! You had to cycle the pistons 2.5 times to prevent hydraulicing. Can't remember how many times you have to turn the hand crank!! Those pics just brought it all back. (That was 50 + years ago!!!)
Glad I brought back the memory for you Doug. Hope it was a good one :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Only about 10 days late into the party Tim, but you are off to a great start on this. Nice looking motor there, Sir!!! Bet that cost a few nerves to do...I hope you don't forget to add the 'Champion' decals to the spark plugs Buddy!!!...Very important, you know..........

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Only about 10 days late into the party Tim, but you are off to a great start on this. Nice looking motor there, Sir!!! Bet that cost a few nerves to do...I hope you don't forget to add the 'Champion' decals to the spark plugs Buddy!!!...Very important, you know..........

Prost
Allen
Not that late Allen, it’s been a sluggish start. Thanks for the support though…..
By the way, no spark plugs….the leads are only actually attached at one end and I forgot to drill the holes for them….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Currently plodding through the internals on this big bird, so not much to see yet….however, I have had a “you gotta be kiddin” moment…..
219D624B-94DE-4076-813A-E5A29BC9347B.jpeg
Parts 43 and 44 are supposed to be rolled, and then used to replace the machine gun barrels……like that’s going to happen……how do you disguise the join, for one, then how do you get this piece of half thickness etch into the gun body without destroying it…..just madness.

By the way, part 50 won’t get used either. It shows my pet hate with lazy etch design. How on earth you make a box out of that part which will actually look like a proper box? You could get a nice baroque box with scalloped edge detail, perhaps, but a crisp cornered plain box…..I think not! Get a grip designers…..either the sides or the ends needs to overlap by the thickness of the metal. If you don’t do that, YOU CANT MAKE A BOX OUT OF IT!!! Oh, and fold lines are supposed to be on the inside of folds……so that handle detail is a bit pointless.