Too much strings

First Name
Mike
Eduard's Airco DH-2, 1/48 scale. A lot of work, particularly in the rigging, but a beautifully engineered kit.

Posed here with Gavia's 1/48 Bristol Scout C in the background.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Brilliant work, I don't think you need to say there's a lot of work gone in to that, you can tell, well done

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Totally stunning Mike, Has to be a 5* build. I've got an Eduard 1:48 Sopwith camel with PE and resin, it looks great - in the box !

Regards

Colin M.......

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mike

Absolutely beautiful work. I've got a couple of Roden 1/32 WW1 kits in the stash - if they come anywhere near to this quality I'll be happy. Did you make your own turnbuckles?

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Dave
Thats pretty amazing.What do you use for the rigging?.The last Biplane i built was the Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer many years ago.I rigged it with the strands of household electrical wiring held in place with blobs of superglue gel.I remember being very pleased with the result.I've got a 1/48 Swordfish waiting to be built but havent worked out what to rig it with yet.Isnt there some product on the market thats like very thin rubber that can be stretched and glued in place?.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a stunningly good model! Very well built, painted and rigged. A real jaw dropper. Nice one Mike.

Dave, White ensign models sell something called rigging mylar Its very fine and more suited to 1/350 scale ships. The few times I have rigged a bi-plane I have used 1lb fishing line to good effect.

Ian M

C

CDW

You must have the patience of a saint, some nifty nimble fingers and some decent focusing eyes to do that !!!!!

Stunning mate !!! :smiling3:

First Name
Mike
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment guys. Paul, I didn't use turnbuckles on the model. It was a build for Model Airplane International and as I was running up against a deadline decided to leave them out.

Dave, the main wings are rigged with fine fishing line which adds some structural strength, but the booms are rigged with ceramic fibre. It's a tad over-scale for 1/48 but is like extruded glass, remaining absolutely straight and rigid over quite long lengths. There are also some stretched sprue sections in there for short pieces. Ian mentioned Mylar, there's a similar product available from the U.S. called EZ Line which has the advantage of being dark grey and comes in two thicknesses. The .003" stuff is fine for 1/48, the manufacturer claims it can be stretched to 700% of its original length... not sure about that, but easily 3 or 400%. You can order it from: BOBE'S HOBBY HOUSE-EZ Line

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mike , that is just a stunning build! The rigging is superb, and theres plenty to go at on this beast! One question if i may, you say you used fishing line, i once tried it but couldnt get it to stick with superglue, is there a special type of line/glue?I have used bait elastic a few times which is a bit like the mylar thread and even synthetic paintbrush bristles and fibre optic strands, im still experimenting to find the easiest way, and wouldnt mind trying fishing line again. cheers tony ps , thats a definite 5 star build*****

First Name
Mike
Thanks Tony. It's just .004" line, the secret is to drill one of the holes right through the lower wing. Attach one end of the line to the underside of the upper wing and push the other end through the hole in the lower wing. Just where it enters the hole add a tiny blob of superglue, then add a weight to the end of the line (I use a crocodile clip) and let it dangle below the wing. The clip holds the line taut and ensures the glue dries in the hole. When it's dried the excess line can be trimmed flush with the wing underside and the paintwork touched up. It's easier to do than describe :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I don't know what to say Mike, if it was a supermodel she'll be Milla Jovovich. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks Tony. It's just .004" line, the secret is to drill one of the holes right through the lower wing. Attach one end of the line to the underside of the upper wing and push the other end through the hole in the lower wing. Just where it enters the hole add a tiny blob of superglue, then add a weight to the end of the line (I use a crocodile clip) and let it dangle below the wing. The clip holds the line taut and ensures the glue dries in the hole. When it's dried the excess line can be trimmed flush with the wing underside and the paintwork touched up. It's easier to do than describe :smiling3:
Thanks mike, so its off to the fishing tackle shop for me then ! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Ive been trying to work out a rigging method so i can build a 1/48 Swordfish.This sounds pretty good so i will give it a go.just have to think about the order of painting and assembly.Will be well worth the effort if it turns out half as good as the migrants model.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mike

You know what, the build actually looks as though it has eyelets even if it hasn't!

You know this aircraft makes me smile because it reminds me of the 'Catch the Pigeon' cartoon show! I don't if you remember the Hanna-Barbera show but it featured Dasterdly, Muttley, Klunk and Zilly flying in a series of really bizarre WW1 aircraft in an attempt to catch 'Yankee-Doodle Pigeon'. This plane has that feel. You know when pilots refer to their aircraft as 'kites'? well this surely is the closest example of it!

Anyway, superb work. You know I think I have that copy of Airplane Int. somewhere - I must dig it out.

Thanks for sharing your great work

All the best

Paul

First Name
Mike
Thanks again guys for your feedback. John... if only ;) Dave, rigging is usually the very last thing I do, everything has been built, painted and decalled by that point. All that's left after rigging is touch up the wing underside where the wires have come through/been trimmed.

Paul, must be my dodgy photography making it look like the model has turnbuckles ;) Thanks for your comment, never seen that particular cartoon show but I know what you mean, definitely has a Heath Robinson quirky look to it.

G

Guy Wilde

Wow, and they called the Swordfish "String Bag", this craft is easily more appropriate for that name. A most impressive piece...hats off!