Top Fuel Funny car 1/16

Jabba

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Bonjour All, Just finished this kit. Its from Atlantis models in the USA, although I got this one via Germany, but its essentially a re-issue of the Revell 1/16 dragsters of the 70's , many of which I enjoyed building then. Of course, now there are a lot more super detailing parts available, especially the hoses and connectors, so I had to make the most of them! Particularly good are the connectors by Model Factory Hiro and braided hoses by Tamiya and Top Studio. but some things needed modifying to give them enough clearance. Top Fuel Drag racing cars were not , and are not , allowed any electronic fuel regulation, so its all done with managing the fuel pressures, hence the abundance of fuel lines, not just one fuel rail.
Overall it was a fun kit to do and brought back many memories, but a lot of the parts needed 'improving' to fit and there was a lot of flash to tidy up, but I got there in the end.
Another product I found really good for this sort of application was a chrome paint pen by Molotow. It was easy to use and gave excellent results , especially on chrome parts that had marks were they were cut from the sprue.
See what you think.
PeterIMG_5664.JPGIMG_5661.JPGIMG_5664.JPGIMG_5661.JPGIMG_5656.JPGIMG_5663.JPGIMG_5662.JPG

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Fantastic flashback Peter!!! Saw him race in his Nova bodied funny car, way back when. Super build and detailing!!! May I ask if the kit came with the chrome cover with the butterflies for the carbs? I didn't see it anywhere in the pics...

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Bonjour All, Just finished this kit. Its from Atlantis models in the USA, although I got this one via Germany, but its essentially a re-issue of the Revell 1/16 dragsters of the 70's , many of which I enjoyed building then. Of course, now there are a lot more super detailing parts available, especially the hoses and connectors, so I had to make the most of them! Particularly good are the connectors by Model Factory Hiro and braided hoses by Tamiya and Top Studio. but some things needed modifying to give them enough clearance. Top Fuel Drag racing cars were not , and are not , allowed any electronic fuel regulation, so its all done with managing the fuel pressures, hence the abundance of fuel lines, not just one fuel rail.
Overall it was a fun kit to do and brought back many memories, but a lot of the parts needed 'improving' to fit and there was a lot of flash to tidy up, but I got there in the end.
Another product I found really good for this sort of application was a chrome paint pen by Molotow. It was easy to use and gave excellent results , especially on chrome parts that had marks were they were cut from the sprue.
See what you think.
PeterView attachment 484985View attachment 484986View attachment 484985View attachment 484986View attachment 484987View attachment 484988View attachment 484989
Few flames from them thar exhausts and Whoooooooooooosh!!! Off it goes!!!

Excellent build!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a great build. I'm sure I haven't seen one of these before.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Absolutely cracking job, really love the detailing on the engine and the standard of the body paintwork.

Jabba

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Fantastic flashback Peter!!! Saw him race in his Nova bodied funny car, way back when. Super build and detailing!!! May I ask if the kit came with the chrome cover with the butterflies for the carbs? I didn't see it anywhere in the pics...

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen
I think you mean the 'Bug Catcher' type of injector, I think they were made by Enderle ;
This kit came with what I think is a Sid Waterman style injector. Truth is that the fuel system and many other facets of the cars setup could change from race to race anyway. I can't find any picture on the internet that matches all the colour suggestions that are in the models instructions, so I just regard it as my interpretation of that car .;)

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Fantastic work!! I remember those kits, even had a few and sometime might try one again. Your model definitely is superb and increases that urge. All you need to finish it off is a figure of Jungle Pam!