Total Newbie Questions

P

Peakoverload

Yep, I'm a total newbie and by that I mean that apart from making (fairly badly) Airfix kits as a kid and a brief attempt at making other kits as an adult I know next to nothing. The only thing I do know is that models have always interested me and I'd love to try my hand at it. That said, whilst I have been looking into this for the past couple of months I do have a number of questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer or point me in the right direction with.

I am interested in making a range of different models but I'm not particularly interested in military vehicles and aircraft, nothing against them it's just that they aren't the kind of thing I personally would want on display. I'm more into dioramas, model villages but also things like classic cars, steam engines etc. The one thing that I always found disappointing in the models I have made previously was in the paint job I did. Whilst I knew about things like dry brushing I was just never satisfied with the overall finish. Whether that was down to the quality or type of paints I was using (mainly enamel), not knowing how to prepare the paints and surface (I never primed anything) or just that I was rubbish with a brush I can't say. Having looked into it further I believe that I would like to use an airbrush but I'm conscious of not running before I can walk and whilst buying a top quality Badger or Iwata airbrush would at least mean I couldn't blame the tools, it's also more money than I would feel comfortable spending until I know if I can even use an airbrush well enough to buy a decent one.

A friend of mine who builds models said that he uses an Expo AB602 which is kit comprising of a compressor and dual action airbrush https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/AB602-Airbrush-Deal-AB602.html It does have an airtank (albeit I'm sure a small one) and is fully adjustable from 5 to 35psi but I'm not sure what size the needle is in the airbrush. I haven't the faintest clue about the brand, I don't know if they good, bad, indifferent it's only because a friend uses it and gets results I'd be happy with that made me consider it. That said I'm wondering if the compressor is just a generic one that Expo have simply badged because there is an almost identical one on eBay by a different name https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professi...=item41c73c1ab8:g:VKcAAOSwqURasku2:rk:12:pf:0 Has anyone used the AB602, is the eBay one the same thing? Is there another model you would recommend suitable for a complete newbie?

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on airbrushing and general model making and they have helped give me a good idea of what to do and what I need to get but can anyone point me in the direction of a good book or websites with tutorials I could follow?

In terms of model kits, as I've mentioned I'm interested in eventually being able to build dioramas but I'm struggling to find models of buildings that aren't 'bombed out ruins' or railway stations. Is there a term I should be searching for that I'm missing or are such things normally scratch built? It seems that in America there are more kits of buildings available than in the UK, at least from what I've seen so far.

I'm sure I'll have loads more questions to ask and apologies in advance for boring you all with them ;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Firstly welcome to the forum Oliver.

As for the info you require. I'm sure someone here with far more knowledge than me in the areas you want to look at will be along soon to help you in your quest

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oliver,
at the cheaper end of the market it is is very common to see the same compressor under different badges. I know that a few modellers here use an AS-186 compressor - I've been using mine for several yearsair compressor.jpg
Scale Model Shop have a bundle * AS-186* at a pretty good price ( out of stock at the moment ), you can contact John, about availability ( he's the forum owner, too )
Dave

P

Peakoverload

Ahh yes cheers Dave that does look like a better option especially as I didn't like the water trap being under the airbrush in the Expo model. Definitely one I will give serious consideration to when it is back in stock.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The one thing that I always found disappointing in the models I have made previously was in the paint job I did. Whilst I knew about things like dry brushing I was just never satisfied with the overall finish. Whether that was down to the quality or type of paints I was using (mainly enamel), not knowing how to prepare the paints and surface (I never primed anything) or just that I was rubbish with a brush I can't say.
Most likely, it’s just a matter of practice. Most things modelling-related (and otherwise) don’t turn out quite the way you had in mind if you’re just starting out, is my experience, but after a couple of goes you’ll see yourself getting better.

In terms of model kits, as I've mentioned I'm interested in eventually being able to build dioramas but I'm struggling to find models of buildings that aren't 'bombed out ruins' or railway stations. Is there a term I should be searching for that I'm missing or are such things normally scratch built?
The problem here is that there are generally three genres of modelling that need buildings: railway modelling, military modelling, and building modelling (duh :smiling3:). The first needs complete buildings but usually in small scales, the second typically wants damaged buildings for dioramas set in wartime (because those tend to be more interesting to look at, and a bombed-out building doesn’t require as much space as a whole one), while the third is a fairly rare branch of modelling in itself.

As has been mentioned, Mini Art makes 1/35th scale buildings in plastic, but they’re apparently a fair amount of work. On the positive side, they seem to consist of modular parts, so it should be possible to build entirely different things from the kits than what’s actually intended by the manufacturer.

Zvezda makes (or at least used to) stone castles in 1/72nd scale in plastic, with wholly modular kits: buy some wall sections, a few towers, etc. and make up the castle you want. Detail could be better, but they’re big and relatively cheap.

But it may be a good idea to learn how to scratchbuild buildings. There was a very good series on doing just that in Military Modelling magazine (now defunct) about ten years ago or so.

Last edited: