Track attack - all done!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So you may remember I had a mass spray booth session whilst my wife was away for the weekend a while ago (link HERE).

Well I've now started on the tracks - 14 pairs in all - and a few associated odds and sods. As a result of having so many sets I'm having a go at using various techniques - some old, some completely new and some a mixture of old and new. A few are finished, most are part way through and a few are still to be started. Some will work out and some won't but it would have been rude not to have experimented with so many sets available to work on

One of the new techniques I am try is this, from the inimitable Night Shift (and yes I do have the set he recommends):

ACW as usual but just remember these are for wargaming with my son.

Andrew

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The main bulk of what I'm working on.

49301330681_fdc54c5637_c.jpg

The below are finished (not the orange looking ones!!!), using my 'non-rusty and clean' track technique.
  • It also works well for other metallic finishes e.g. tools, hedgerow cutters etc.
  • A base coat of black primer, then a very thin coat of Humbrol enamel gun metal (H53) and finally a thin coat, or two, or three depending on taste, of a very dark brown (Revell acrylic Black and Dark Earth roughly 1:4).
    The Polish TKS 'Engine block' (I use the term very loosely) had a thin coat of my special 'Off Black' (black and dark earth @ 1:1) after this shot was taken just to darken it up a bit.
  • I think it works well, at least for wargaming, and like all best ideas I stumbled on it by accident when trying to correct a foul up in my early modelling days and have developed it since them

49301540387_853424f750_c.jpg
49300847523_9639a48539_c.jpg

49301335251_d75ec54257_c.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So over the festive period I did lots of playing around with various techniques, colour combinations and finishes - primarily using Life Colour's 'Rust and Dust set, which I really like!

Obviously some (aka most) of the finishes are a tad (akak hugely) too rusty for vehicles in regular use but with 12 sets of track available to play with it was an opportunity too good to miss and proved a very good learning exercise on what works and what doesn't!! :sad:

ACW as usual - and I do mean it. I need to learn after all!!! :confused:

Andrew

PS Please remember these are for wargaming quick-build kits and so some of the tracks are very basic.

-----------------------------------------------

The full set of tracks I worked on

49339027783_019c2a57e2_b.jpg

Some 'new' look tracks
Black base coat, very thin coat of humbrol enamel gun metal (53), two thin coats of my specially patented dark brown.

49339714742_3a76dd719a_c.jpg

Sherman tracks
Black base coat, very thin coat of humbrol enamel gun metal (53), the full 5 layer 'Rust and dust treatment', one heavy coat of my specially patented dark brown and then a dry bush of gun metal over the raised part of the track (can't remember what they're called).

49339490221_c00869dabb_c.jpg

Panther tracks
Dark grey base coat, dry bush humbrol enamel gun metal (53) on raised parts, the full 5 layer 'Rust and dust treatment', one thin coat of my specially patented dark brown on the left hand pair of tracks.

49339713032_f75ebac55a_c.jpg

Sexton and Lloyd carrier tracks
Left hand pair dark grey base coat. Top and right pairs black base coat. Left pair a dry brush of Humbrol 53 gun metal. Two or three layers of the darker 'Rust and dust' paints and one very thin coat of my specially patented dark brown.

49339033168_06937c5101_c.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It appears you are on the right track! All looking good Andrew. Rick H.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some good results there Andrew, certainly interesting to see the photos.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Some good results there Andrew, certainly interesting to see the photos.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

It appears you are on the right track! All looking good Andrew. Rick H.

Track luv sir

Look good from here Andrew :thumb2:.

Looking good Andy. A please to see your work

Very nice work Andrew

Thanks all for the support, comments (and puns :smiling5:)!! It is appreciated.

It was but it was very time consuming to do soooooo many as you can imagine, especially doing the full five layers of the 'Rust and dust'.

Thanks again.

Andrew