Train Movies

W

Wowbagger

What are your favourite train movies? Let's see if we can work up a definitive list.

Also use this thread to notify members of a forthcoming movie on TV so we can set our VCR's to tape it.

Here we go then:

Thomas and the Magic Railroad :rolleyes:

The Cassandra Crossing

The Orient Express

Von Ryans Express

The Titfield Thunderbolt

and that one with John Voight as an escaping prisoner... :noidea:

EDIT: Got it! Runaway Train.

Night Mail

The Railway Children

The General

Oh Mr Porter!

Your turn...

Last edited:
W

Wowbagger

The one with John Voight was in your era then. It's really bl**dy annoying me that. What was it called? :darn:

You're gonna wake in the night thinking of these!

W

Wowbagger

Doesn't ring a bell (or blow a whistle!). Was it really? Cassandra Crossing, eh?

W

Wowbagger

Adz', just Googled and got this:

Cassandra Crossing

This exciting disaster/thriller features an all-star cast, including Richard Harris, Sophia Loren, Ava Gardner, Martin Sheen, Burt Lancaster and O.J. Simpson. 1000 passengers, traveling from Geneva to Stockholm on a luxury express train, learn that there's a terrorist on board carrying a highly infectious plague virus. Further complications arise as the train approaches a weakened bridge. Filmed in Europe with gripping suspense and disaster-epic action.

So it's not the John Voight movie - but it can be added to the list! :woohoo:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thomas and the magic railroad :dontknow: :shoot:

W

Wowbagger

No! It's true! (Sonic must be younger than we thought! :cheesygri )

Thomas and the Magic Railroad (2000)

Mr. Conductor's supply of magic gold dust, which allows him to travel between Shining Time and Thomas's island, is critically low. Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to get more. Meanwhile, Thomas is fending off attacks by the nasty diesel engines. Getting more gold dust will require help from Mr. C's slacker cousin, his new friend Lilly, and her morose grandfather, plus the secret engine he's hidden all these years and couldn't get running.

Added to list... :thumbs:

W

Wowbagger

Hey guys, how about this. Deja Vu or something. The film with John Voight we couldn't remember the name of? Well, it's on on Monday, BBC1, 11.05pm and it called - RUNAWAY TRAIN :yeahbaby:

Added to list.

D

duncan

Nah...you just looked up the Radio Times:shh: How about "Night Mail" (travelling Post Office) tiddy-dum, tiddy-dum,tiddy dum etc etc etc. ? Oh yes "The Railway Children" (no sound effects for this ,sorry) :damn:

Last edited:
D

duncan

An all time great from `way back..."The General" with Buster Keating. Watch for the bit where he is sitting on the connecting rod/beam(?) while the loco moves off. No computer generated trickery there. Made in nineteen canteen but comes up on TV occasionally. B&W of course.

J

Jonr1234

How about the old black and white film "Oh, Mr Porter" with Will Hay?

First time I saw that I was in tears of laughter! I'll have to dig out the vid and have another look!

Well I'm only 16 and I've got that on a video and I've also seen the Titfield Thunderbolt several times, which I just love! I've also seen Thomas and the Magic Railroad, no offence to any Americans here, but I think they have made an originally British idea into a rather American influenced one. Not that I like Thomas or anything :eek:

But I have to say that my favourite all time would be The Titfield Thunderbolt closely followed by Oh! Mr Porter!

D

duncan

Another brain-wracker...what was the one with Burt Lancaster as the yard master at a French railway marshalling yard during WW2. Resistance V Nazis, bombing by RAF, lots of rail action. Black and white, made a while after that war. Filmed in France but not a French film if you see what I mean.