Trumeter HMS Dreadnought 1907

J

John Rixon

Or should I say, early adventures with PE!

Matilda continues to gestate, but have been caught up in tiny pieces of brass and a big magnifying glass! Finally feel I'm making real progress today. Had to buy second £18 of Eduard, but feel its a cheap price to pay for what it'll teach me. one of the steam launches with removed plastic wheelhouse and replacement Eduard one!

Looks a whole heap better.

View attachment 112950

A very different and unfamiliar work space, but have a lot of experience folding paper and card very accurately, albeit on a massively bigger scale, so it kind of balances itself out!

This model is going to take a VERY long time to build...View attachment 112949

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1949.JPG

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
You are a braver man than me Mr Rixon......... You are doing great with that. I'll be watching your progress

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Crikey that is small! Look forward to the progress John.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is one to watch...

Nice start.

J

John Rixon

Well, I have no idea how well this is going to turn out, and I'd be silly to think that it isn't going to have some serious blunders (The funnel baffles are REALLY scary, like a small flies legs!!), but I am relishing the challenge, and understand that it is gonna be a lot of sub-assemblies, that somewhere down the line, should all fit together into a ship - well, that's the plan! I have the Kagero 3-D drawings book, which will be a godsend, considering the woeful instructions, and then, of course, there's the rigging...:eek:

G

Graham D

I'll be watching with interest. I find with PE if the part is too small to see without a magnifier, I do not bother with it, but thats just me

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I'll be watching with interest. I find with PE if the part is too small to see without a magnifier, I do not bother with it, but that's just me
I absolutely agree. I'm basically using this as a test to see how far my tolerance stretches! There are parts on the PE sheet that border on the ridiculous, sadly, the funnel baffles number among this description, but I'm gonna have a crack at them as I believe that they look great when done properly. I just wish that the Eduard sheet had them on too, which would give me two shots at it;). I'm also going to have to try some brass rod replacement for the mast and spars, some of which require a lot of cleaning up, and then look like they'll bend as soon as I apply tension to them whilst rigging. This model really should be permanently discounted, I paid under £20 for it, which makes the quality bearable, but had I paid £40 for it I'd be miffed!

J

John Rixon

Well, I'm facing a conundrum of epic proportions! I decided, perhaps foolishly, to buy wooden decks for this build. I am, at present on the boat-deck stage, which is, to say the least, fiddly. My conundrum is this: At some stage, I have to commit to sticking the wood deck down, but I can't do this until I have primed and painted the sub assembly that is the superstructure, this has countless tiny holes and recesses to fix the boat deck and other little bits to. All of these will need to be masked (drops of maskol applied with a needle, I can't wait;)) prior to painting, or non of this fiddly work will be able to be glued once the decking has been fixed! This is one of the brilliant things about building stuff like this, it really stretches my brain, but to be honest, I can't fathom this out yet!!!

I did try to load an image, but it refuses to appear other than upside down...Doh!

J

John Rixon

So I thought I'd fool the system, by inverting the image and try to upload the inverted one - guess what?

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I am not sure what the problem is John........... But could you not dull coat the wooden deck ...... Then fit it and mask the edges. The dull coat would seal it. ?

J

John Rixon

Yeah, I know, I cannot get the image to upload, except upside down??? ARGGGGHHHHHHH!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I am not sure what the problem is John........... But could you not dull coat the wooden deck ...... Then fit it and mask the edges. The dull coat would seal it. ?
Yeah, sorry mate, it is a bit garbled reading it back :eek: bottom line is, I can't airbrush anything once that deck is down, beginning to think I'm better off brushing the superstructure, which solves many issues! I might even ditch the wooden decking, I am a little bit sceptical about the scale of the caulking lines anyway. I'm really enjoying the challenge of PE though!

View attachment 117267

ah, this one is 90 degrees counterclockwise...sheesh! But thesis one of the deck storage boxes, folded box with two sets of hatches folded and superglued onto the top... :D

image2.JPG

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I`m trying hard to learn working with PE John. But tiny little stuff like that is way beyond me. I just get astrology and bin it :mad:....... You have my respect for doing that. :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

Ah, good, whatever glitch was preventing my getting a pic to load upright, has gone!

View attachment 117307

This gives a slightly better idea of my dilemma, those little uprights on the left hand superstructure need to locate through the holes in the decking and be glued into the holes in the moulding. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to prime the main components, then stick the decking down, glue the boat deck et al to the superstructure then hand paint the tiny details (of which there will be many). I might just use enamels for this one...

IMG_2143.jpg