trumpeter 1/32 mig 17f

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi all.Well this ones been a long time coming,due to the amount of corrective/detailing work necessary to get an accurate 1/32 mig 17 out of this kit.Several kits have been started and finished while this has been ongoing,at least four months!the most glaringly obvious fault with the kit is the totally wrong windscreen profile,i had to saw off the front piece alter the sides and glue it back at the right angle!then after studying pics and plans i realised just about every other aspect of the kit is wrong too(if anyones thinking of making one of these pm me and ill tell you everything that needs rectifying,but its a LONG list!)i finished it in egyptian markings with decals from the spares box and hand drawn arabic numerals.i couldnt resist the last pic,steve ,looks like one of the late war mistel combinations that never got off the ground(literally!!) hee hee. ill have to put the pics in 2 posts cause theres more than 10. now this is off the bench the halftrack should start moving a bit quicker (in between the fouga magister and handley page herald which are in progress too!) cheers tony:beer:

View attachment 19627

View attachment 19628

View attachment 19629

View attachment 19630

View attachment 19631

View attachment 19632

View attachment 19633

View attachment 19634

View attachment 19635

View attachment 19636

P1040956 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040955 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040952 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040954 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040962 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040959 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040099 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040448 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040449 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040451 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I don't know much about aircraft, b****r all about Russian stuff but I like your work on the ejector seat,Tony. What I like about you flyguys is you can't hide mistakes with mud and dust like us armour builders can, so it has to be right....no hiding place!

I note your reference to the half track that you were shamed into making!lol., so I think it only right and proper that I tackle an aircraft.

I saw the B17 flying fortress at Duxford recently and thought I might have a go at a 1/72 model of one.

:plane:

Ron

C

Caledonia

Tony, Another lovely model, I especially like the realism of the ejector seat harness. Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks for the comments,guys.the harness was good old wine bottle foil ,same goes for the buckles,then a bit of careful painting with the fine brush, the completed seat is a definite improvement on the original(like every other part of the kit that had to be altered,ie all of them!!). ron,cant wait to see your plane ,whichever you choose,im sure youll make a great job of it. cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice Mig, love the camo on this beautiful aircraft Tony.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Very nice Mig, love the camo on this beautiful aircraft Tony.Have fun, John
cheers john , it actually used 3 packs of blu tack!! but i had to do this scheme when i saw it ,usually theyre all in natural metal . thanks for the comments tony

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Tony,

Just wanted to say that your Mig looks great, the camo job is excellent (it sure beats my "plain white" mig).

I look forward to seeing more of your work, have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Howdy Tony, Just wanted to say that your Mig looks great, the camo job is excellent (it sure beats my "plain white" mig).

I look forward to seeing more of your work, have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)
cheers greg ,glad you like it, ive seen your white mig a while back ,it looks great.if you want to see more of my stuff its all on my gallery, thanks and a big wave from this side of the pond , tony:wavetowel

G

Gladiator111

great Build Yak, I love the camo paint job you have done there. Well done chap! I am also looking whether to purchase a 1/32 model, and what to go for... see separate post. Again, just love the Mig mate.

Cheers

Chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks for the comments ,chris , it took some doing but it turned out alright in the end.Just seen your post about the review section,i think its a great idea ,like you said it would be nice to get an average joes opinion,sometimes the mags and some of the other modelling websites(not that i go on any very often)can be a bit sniffy ,condemning what for most of us would be a perfectly acceptable model for the slightest thing.If youre looking to buy a 1/32 jet then dont get the trumpeter mig 17 or 15 unless you want to do a lot of kit bashing,these were some of trumpeters very earliest 1/32 releases and accuracy wasnt even on the agenda!!Their later releases are 100% better , the mig 29 and f105 thundercheif being particularly well received . I know what you mean about the cost being a bit scary ,you dont want to spend £100 quid and not finish it cause its too hard or a dog of a kit. Hope the admin guys go for your idea, thanks again tony:goodidea:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice indeed Tony. I bet you had some Blu-Tac fun doing that camo! It's come out very well.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers steve, hope you liked the mistel photo too!couldnt resist,plus it gives an idea of the scale.Im hoping that blu tack is buy one get one free soon,as my stock is seriously low!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have just been looking at this mig, AGAIN!

That seat is something else. What I would like to know is. What do you do with the blu tac when doing the cammo.?

No big words, I'm only a thick, old joiner!!!! LOL

:noidea:

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron, i too am a joiner!although now i have changed tack a little and am now a delivery driver.Maybe the making/building/playing about with sharp things translates well from joinery to modelling(or was it the other way round,all those airfix kits i used to make as a kid led me into the building trade!?) Back to the point,thanks,i was pleased with how the seat turned out too,especially when you see it next to the unmodified one(there are two in the kit,some of the sprues are common with the two seat JJ5)As for the blue tack its used to get a feathered edge on camo by rolling it into long sausages and outlining the camo scheme edges.When you spray at 90 degrees to it it gives the soft edge,the only trouble is with a 3 colour upper scheme you use loads!! from one wood butcher to another (or is it plastic butcher now?) cheers tony

G

Gladiator111

\ said:
thanks for the comments ,chris , it took some doing but it turned out alright in the end.Just seen your post about the review section,i think its a great idea ,like you said it would be nice to get an average joes opinion,sometimes the mags and some of the other modelling websites(not that i go on any very often)can be a bit sniffy ,condemning what for most of us would be a perfectly acceptable model for the slightest thing.If youre looking to buy a 1/32 jet then dont get the trumpeter mig 17 or 15 unless you want to do a lot of kit bashing,these were some of trumpeters very earliest 1/32 releases and accuracy wasnt even on the agenda!!Their later releases are 100% better , the mig 29 and f105 thundercheif being particularly well received . I know what you mean about the cost being a bit scary ,you dont want to spend £100 quid and not finish it cause its too hard or a dog of a kit. Hope the admin guys go for your idea, thanks again tony:goodidea:
Thanks for the advice Tony ol' chap. I'm thinking on building a Trumpeter 1/32 EF-2000A Eurofighter Typhoon but found very little on t'internet for reviews and concerned that there could potentially be too much kit bashing as you describe. However, it is a recent model (obviously its as old as the actual aircraft) so as you have advised with more recent kits, it shouldn't be too bad a build.

Also investigating to see if there are any photo etched or resin kits for the model as if there is a chance that the detail isn't up to scratch, but have not found anything as yet. Either that, or I may just go for a tried and tested F-16...

Cheers

Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi ron, i too am a joiner!although now i have changed tack a little and am now a delivery driver.Maybe the making/building/playing about with sharp things translates well from joinery to modelling(or was it the other way round,all those airfix kits i used to make as a kid led me into the building trade!?) Back to the point,thanks,i was pleased with how the seat turned out too,especially when you see it next to the unmodified one(there are two in the kit,some of the sprues are common with the two seat JJ5)As for the blue tack its used to get a feathered edge on camo by rolling it into long sausages and outlining the camo scheme edges.When you spray at 90 degrees to it it gives the soft edge,the only trouble is with a 3 colour upper scheme you use loads!! from one wood butcher to another (or is it plastic butcher now?) cheers tony
Thanks for the info. on the blue tack , I had an idea it might have something to do with masking. I really must get a grip and try airbrushing. I've never held one much less pressed the button / trigger, wharever!

Off thread a min. Fancy you being a joiner. I started in'63, I lost the 'buzz' some time ago having been 'On the lump' (piece work) since 1970 'til 15yrs ago when I became a shopkeeper selling ceramic tiles!!

In Chester there is the Grosvenor Bridge which crosses the Dee, if you stand in the middle and look down, that is the precise spot where I threw a few tools over and said "stuff it!"....I kid you not. So if you want them they will be well preserved in the mud!!!!!!

Sorry to go off topic, friends, but Yak and me are good buddies!!!

:beer:

Ron

G

Gladiator111

\ said:
Thanks for the info. on the blue tack , I had an idea it might have something to do with masking. I really must get a grip and try airbrushing. I've never held one much less pressed the button / trigger, wharever!Off thread a min. Fancy you being a joiner. I started in'63, I lost the 'buzz' some time ago having been 'On the lump' (piece work) since 1970 'til 15yrs ago when I became a shopkeeper selling ceramic tiles!!

In Chester there is the Grosvenor Bridge which crosses the Dee, if you stand in the middle and look down, that is the precise spot where I threw a few tools over and said "stuff it!"....I kid you not. So if you want them they will be well preserved in the mud!!!!!!

Sorry to go off topic, friends, but Yak and me are good buddies!!!

:beer:

Ron
Sorry, but continuing off thread Spanner, surely you should have overcome your joinery frustrations having been given a free view overlooking the racecourse during the Chester Races?? ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
:poster_ofHA, ha, nice one Glad' but I used to watch the races from my old mates house in Curzon Park....Posh or what?

:trafficwarden: Back to business.......!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron