Trumpeter 1/32 Mig3

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well it's been a week since I last posted so here's a small amount or progress. The propeller and nose cone have been sprayed with insignia yellow and black followed by a coat of klear, then weathered and a final matt coat.

The exhaust stacks are assembled and painted and have also have a matt coat.

Undercarriage and wheels are complete and weathered.

Rockets have a first coat of dark grey not sure if they are the right colour as there's not a lot of reference photos on the web.

A dry run with the canopy and as you can see the office is going to be very visible, then masked and glued with ClearFix followed by a coat of grey prior to the top coat going down.

Vaughan

View attachment 48569

View attachment 48570

View attachment 48571

View attachment 48572

View attachment 48573

View attachment 48574

View attachment 48575

View attachment 48576

View attachment 48577

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking really good Vaughan. The cockpit interior is particularly striking.

I don't know much about Soviet aircraft but this one looks like it should have been good! Anything would struggle against the Bf 109,one of the great fighter aircraft of all time.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good vaughan , i take it from the yellow spinner ,youre doing the green version ? Looking forward to seeing it in the paint , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Your right Tony. I chickened out of doing the winter camo as I know how difficult it is to spray white.

Vaughan

M

mobear

vaughan thats brilliant mate,i need some of your finesse for painting,because its awesome

mobear

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that Ole. I still think I'm learning in fact I always will be. The weather at the moment is playing havoc with my airbrushing it seems to dry before it's even hits the model, so I'm actually quite pleased the way it's turned out.

Vaughan

M

mobear

if thats a bad job then i really would hate to see a good job,forgot the arado that was amazing,darn you have me there £**@!,i cant wait to get back into mine,left arm is totally useless no power i drop more than i hold lol,tendons and nerves in elbow have got screwed updue to piece of bone chipping,but heyho,kinesiology tape is taking some of the strain,few more days then woohoo

mobear

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well the klear is down and I made a start on the decals. What has spoilt a well designed kit with some subtle rivet and panel line detail is the appalling decals that Trumpeter supply. The registration on the red stars is way out with dark edges and white lines visible. The number '5's for the fuselage literally fell apart once slid off the decal sheet. I managed to salvage one almost complete the other will need to be repaired. I shouldn't have expected any better when I built the Trumpeter BF109G Early version in 1/24 scale earlier this year I had a similar problem. The under carriage is now permanently fix once they have set I will apply another coat of Klear and then make a start on the weathering.

Vaughan

View attachment 48730

View attachment 48731

View attachment 48732

View attachment 48733

View attachment 48734

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

M

mobear

those stars are mad wonder if printer needed a clean?looks almost 3d and a shame about the number 5,but looks a really good aircraft,i done some reading on these and for a plane that was wooden mostly it took some punishment lol

mobear

T

tecdes

Very nice Vaughan. Very clean & sharp as per usual. How on earth did you get that nice dense yellow on the spinner. My yellows always look thin.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Laurie I sprayed a light coat of white first and then followed up with several light coats of the yellow. This seems to work for me.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Thanks Vaughan. I have been spraying on grey primer or in the case of yellow prop ends the plastic itself. Think next time I will spray the whole prop white then the yellow ends then the black. The black will cover anything.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is looking very impressive. Great job.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks guys

I'm nearly finished ariel mast/wire and pitot tube are on. Landing lights painted and fitted. I have made a start on some subtle weathering on the canopy and other wear areas. Still yet to apply some exhaust staining, fluid needle and nozzle for my BR arrived this lunch time (thanks John for your prompt delivery) so will get on the case if I have time this afternoon.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well the Mig3 is finished and photographed. I've just got to wade through all of them to pick out the best ones. Time permitting I will post them in the Aircraft Pictures section this evening.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Finished Mig3

The mig3 is now finished and I have posted the photos in Aircraft Pictures.

Vaughan