Trumpeter .Ch tz s65 Tractor Diorama

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Enjoying figure painting John??? I'll put it down to the heat, you'll be ok again when it cools down :smiling2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking good. I am rather like Si in that acrylic washes just don't work for me. This hot weather will only make acrylics more difficult to control.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Cracking stuff mate. You really are pulling out all the stops. Thanks for a great update:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good afternoon from a cool, windy and wet South Lincs.

Pete. Thanks mate, I would get one, there's also a new Thunder Model out this month , its a 60 Version.
Peter......Think Iv'e enjoyed this one about the most. The engine has been the part along with the cab conversion that has done it for me.

Mick..... Believe it or not I actually have started to enjoy them, a strange thing I know. I have to thank my friend Peter Day for this, he's given me the support and help. Even though he will will take no credit.
Jim........ Tried and used both on this, certain parts needed a softer finish and the water based ones were great for that.The cave has thank goodness been the coolest place in the house, two doors with a through draft from the garden made it bareable.
Steve ...... Your welcome mate, seems to take so long with a dio , all the bits that go into it take so long to do.

This week even the heat didn't put me off while in the cave, at times I sat in the shade in the garden and painted !
Changing from reed beds to tractors, painting one section and then back to some thing else.
Starting with the base, the T40 was set in to it's pre cut hole, had to make a few changes on one side , but now ok .
_MG_3302.JPG
This was the earlier part, since then it has turned into this .
_MG_3370.JPG
I'm not impressed with the Vallejo mud as I said before, the video on U Tube made out it was so good, hence buying it. You'd have thought by now I would take all adverts with a pinch of salt. It's far to dark, i've tried to lighten it in the mix, no good a-tall. To be fair to Vallejo its no doubt go its benefits, but in the past I have always made my own from cheap wall filler, added some artists acrylic paint and been happy. Thought I would give it a go.
So now the think to do is lighten the finish.I had added some of my mix for Kursk soil, it did lighten it somewhat , but bought the green out more, the thing to do here will be to leave the very dark , as if it's deep mud colour from the bottom. lightening the rest the further away from the tank .
The brown over the green will have a some more work done to it, lightening it as I go.
Other than that it's going the way I had in mind, more reed are needed to the left hand side, the front and the right. Then they will run along the waters edge for the total length. Ive made another 60 plus tuffs so hopefully that will be enough.

_MG_3368.JPG
Mass production has been used , picking up one section at a time was getting tedious with being so many.

This morning the bulrush heads were finished after two applications of PVA done over the last two days.

_MG_3369.JPG
Found that AK track brown seemed to work ok .

The tractor tracks have been toned down following Si's imput the other evening.

_MG_3371.JPG

_MG_3372.JPG

That drivers door has been off again, trying to get the driver in was fun, what with legs , and controls getting in the way.
Looking at the bench my request for membership of the TIDY Bench Club will be rejected again !

The lower half of the tractor will have to have the mud applied, I think here a thin covering of the mud, followed by several thin sprayed coats of washes made from Vallejo . I want to retain the metal work, don't want it too plastered !

As for the figures, they moving on , Iv'e done several coats of skin tones, and the uniforms. Need to get the faces as good as I can, before placing them on the base.

Ok , that's it , time for a cup of coffee
Please feel free to offer suggestions, comments or anything else you might consider will add to the fun.
Thanks for looking in .
John .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon John,

Well you’ve certainly been a busy boy! The T40 in the mud and reeds looks brilliant, bet your happy with that.
The dark wash on the cat tracks has toned them done nicely....and you’ve still got some nice variations of rust showing through in some areas.
Shame the Vallejo mud wasn’t for you. I used it recently on a mini base I made....don’t think you saw it? http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/flyhawk-pzii-ausf-l-‘luchs’-1-72.30645/
I dusted the base with some pigment after as it was a bit too shiny.

I used an AK product on this base.....http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/sd-kfz-222-1-72.30560/. Don’t think you saw this one either :thinking:. Gave a nice mate finish and took wash well.....anyway......Looking forward to the next update
Si

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Wow missed a couple of updates and progress looks really great John.:thumb2:
Nicely weathered tractor and the beginnings of a great base.:hungry:
Happy to read you've fallen for figure painting too, although a bit tedious to paint a couple of guys to add next to ones models always enriches the dio's.:smiling:

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Gardener JR - Home grown reeds or stolen off the neighbours thatch roof?

Terrific work mate.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gardener JR - Home grown reeds or stolen off the neighbours thatch roof?

Terrific work mate.
Ssssh. Steve................... Wilko shed brush actually . Its done two dios, all gone now.

Fernando ......................Thank you . ive enjoyed the Tractor weathering. Agree about being tedious, takes me so long to hit the spot ! then of course I may missed and cover his helmet in skintone. The strange thing is once I manage to get the depth right and get in the zone I can return to a face without a problem, but move away and the brush can over shoot.
Si ..................................I'm a bit out of sequence in the replies, now I 've caught up on your postings I wish I'd gone for that colour.

To day saw much the same , reed planting, weathering on the tank, esp where the reads will stop me from getting in. Also put the tank crew in place, the commander has decided to sit next to the driver and give him some encouragement. Can't do anymore until I over paint that dark mud, its ok where it's been churned up , but I don't want it the full lenght.
Tractor has had the wire rope put through the shackle and then had the ends ca'd into the eye-bolts.

_MG_3386.jpgZ2.jpg_MG_3387.jpgZ1.jpg
Still need to apply more wash to that hatch, looks a bit bright to me.

Comments welcome.
John .

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi there John i was off for 3 weeks so I just had a catch up with the build ! Very nice progress mister and figures looks great! Looking forward to the completed scene! Regards Danny

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi there John i was off for 3 weeks so I just had a catch up with the build ! Very nice progress mister and figures looks great! Looking forward to the completed scene! Regards Danny

Hi Danny.
Glad you like it.
I had wondered where you were !
Got a lot done to day, tractor on, plus's the figures in place. Will post some photos tomorrow .
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Good to see that you're getting down and dirty John! Looking very good.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha ! Yes indeed Peter, that Vallejo stuff is a sod to get off, me, the cutting mat and tools. Got some on a tea towel, that didn't go done well with Christine !
John.
John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,

I still think the reeds look the dogs-do-dahs...Seem to remember I have an old brush somewhere I could chop up....great tip:thumb2:
I keep looking at your dark mud, I like it, it’s certainly convincing. I think your observation that it would be darker where it was churned up is correct......look forward to see what you do next with that.

Taking lots of notes as I’ve pulled my dio off the top of the cupboard and have been twiddling about with it.
Si

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Si.
I think the mixing is definitely the way to use this.
Those shed brushes are properly the best and cheap if you don't have an old paint brush .
shed-fence-brush-125mm-T-1776255-4120516_1.jpg
Removing that metal band will expose the wooden strips which in the hairs have been glued. They can be pulled off in clumps .
Looking fwd to seeing your results .!
John.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Very impressive mate. Likeing it a lot. A black wash on the hatch will set it off a treat.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon all .
Decided to call the Ch tz -65 done. enjoyed the build, certainly learned a lot from the this.
Thanks to all those that offered help and support along the way
I give you a wet spring day in Russia 1942.
IMG_3398.JPGIMG_3400.JPGIMG_3401.JPGIMG_3402.JPGIMG_3403.JPGIMG_3404.JPGIMG_3405.JPG
Hope you enjoy.

John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mmm no one seen it, must have posted it at the wrong time.:crying:

John.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Everyone was in the greenhouse looking at their plants mate!:smiling5:

I certainly missed it. Was not expecting that final surge of work. You must be very pleased as the final look is wonderful. Some very fine close ups and great work on the water and figures. It would be nice to see some B&W photos as I think they would look the part. Well done mate. Permission to carry on:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cheers Steve, they must have been. :relieved:
I will take some in B/W
John .