trumpeter stryker m1135

First Name
Aaron
I love the colour scheme on this beauty...great work mate.Im itching to build a modern afv but swmbo has (deservedly) put a stop to stash expansion.

E

exosteve

ok. please bare in mind I am still pretty new to this.

heres a few more pics.

I now know looking at the pics there are mistakes. the weathering is propably very over done.

there are a couple of parts that would of benifited from a little extra care and sanding.

but please be frank with your criticism and please say what you would do or would have done or not done to improve my skills.

I already want to do another version of the stryker I enjoyed it so much.

but alas I have got to put my brushes down for a bit to get some real life work done as I tent to neglect a lot of jobs one I pick a model up.

as far as the soliders in the first pictures? well they are glued together but im not sure if I will get them together to go with this model.

I know small details like this make a model but im just not sure I like painting them?

I might do eventualy

View attachment 77911

View attachment 77912

View attachment 77913

View attachment 77914

View attachment 77915

View attachment 77916

P1030409.JPG

P1030400.JPG

P1030411.JPG

P1030405.JPG

P1030415.JPG

P1030406.JPG

D

dubster72

I think that's excellent Steve! The paint is nice & crisp, the weathering is spot-on. Too often the temptation is to go too far, but I'd say you've done just enough.

The only minor point in the spirit of refining your skills is a touch of silvering on the decals. But that's really a very small thing.

Top job! :smiling:

Patrick

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As mentioned the decals are really the only think letting this down-silvering. Looking awesome, I honestly love this build, great build.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One way is to do a gloss coat where you want the decal to go, apply the decal and then, once dry overcoat in a matt varnish, this eliminates the 'silvering' affect.

Micro set is used for softening the decals and getting better adhesion and getting them fit in awkward grooves etc.

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

Looks very fine to me.

Very well build, the colour I think is perfect, and I like very much the general weathering.

My suggest is the next one on white colour (UN), a funny challenge ;)

Polux

S

sausagefingers

That looks bloody great! I'd be well chuffed with that. How did you do the tyres?

The Trumpeter models look superb value for money. I've got the Dicker Max to start next and I can't wait. £25 for over 600 pieces and possibly ordering the PE kit should keep me out of bother for a long time. Being new to this hobby I'm really enjoying it immensely but being self employed it's far too tempting to bugger off home early to do some model making when it's freezing cold on the building site,can be quite expensive :eek:

Could some kind soul tell me what 'flash' is? I've seen it mentioned but haven't got the foggiest :oops:

Cheers,Mick

N

noble

beautifully done steve, nice build love the dessert theme paint and the weathering is just right for modern vehicles.

scott

W

Willi262

Could some kind soul tell me what 'flash' is? I've seen it mentioned but haven't got the foggiest

Flash is escaped plastic from the molding process. Some leaked out during manufacture and cooled and when they took the mold halves apart there would be some leftovers. The more prestigious the company (Tamiya, Trumpeter) the more money they can spend on cleaning and maintaining their factory equipment, so, less flash on their kits.

E

exosteve

\ said:
That looks bloody great! I'd be well chuffed with that. How did you do the tyres?The Trumpeter models look superb value for money. I've got the Dicker Max to start next and I can't wait. £25 for over 600 pieces and possibly ordering the PE kit should keep me out of bother for a long time. Being new to this hobby I'm really enjoying it immensely but being self employed it's far too tempting to bugger off home early to do some model making when it's freezing cold on the building site,can be quite expensive :eek:

Could some kind soul tell me what 'flash' is? I've seen it mentioned but haven't got the foggiest :oops:

Cheers,Mick
lol. im a window cleaner. I haven't cleaned many windows lately. and I must confess to being a bit lax with my paper work and household maintainance jobs too.

all I want do is sit in me shed with me coal fire lit and a kit on the go....

the tyres were naked until the final weathering really.

a bit of very thinned paint of a few colours from a good distance .and a little of tamiyas wethering pastels on then wiped off to leave in the recesses.and that was it really.

overall this model looks ok but look closer.

the center trim of the wheels have niks in where they have come off the sprue.like the lads say the decals are poor too.

and on earlier pictures, there is evidence of flash around the head light protection bars.

I want to improve. but I have only just spotted some flash on my new kit that I thought was ready for spraying. so I have downd tools this evening as I don't want to rush and spoil it. besides my air brush isn't playing ball as its spattering.

I think im getting my coal fire too hot and thickening my paints up?