Trumpeter SU-27 Flanker (1/32 monster size) otb

P

probot

This one has taken longer than I predicted - there's still half an hour of final bits to do and i might post some more photos of it this weekend when the light is better, 9:30 at night under house lights don't do it many favours. All in all i'm pretty pleased although , especially as this is only the 4th model i've done since returning to the hobbey. Some things i'd change and like most of us a few new skills and techniques are learnt each time. Hope it gets the thumbs up though, a 1/72 revell B-17 is top of the pile for the next project.

Alistair .

M

munkster

Now that... I like. It must be an absolute monster surely? Great job though, looks like a dirty bird too thanks to the weathering.

I'm two models behind you, just about to move onto model #3 (a 1/72 Flogger) since my own return to this most excellent hobby - can't believe how much more patience I have than when I were a lad!! Helps to have a bit more disposable income available to buy the "right" paints etc etc rather than having to make do I guess.

P

probot

Absolutely - i've no patience normally but doing this I have bucket loads, i suspect the glue and paint fumes are somewhat responsible? Having a few funds does help thats for sure i've got a wingsclae B-25 in my sights as well (The B-17 looks amazing but it make the Flanker look like a 1/72!)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks stunning. I've always loved the Su-27 ever since i saw the russian display team with them at RAF Finningly

B

Bunkerbarge

My wifes favourite complaint is that I have more patience for my models than I do for her!

I like the camoflage job on this, I like the panel detailing and I like the weathering. The cockpit looks spot on and all in all for your fourth model this looks superb. It certainly has a presence as well, great job.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a great result Alistair. Looks just right.

I have never built a Russian Jet but looking at that I could be tempted.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

awesome looking build Alistair just the right amount of weathering ,the afterburners look very good. Nicely done Sir!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If mine comes out a fraction as good as that I'll be well chuffed!

Is there anything to look out for when building it - apart from the acres of room needed?

Gern

P

probot

In general its a really good quality kit, very little filler used. The clear canopy parts have quite a noticible centre modelling ridge but its easy enough to polish out. If you use the die cast under carriage parts then a two pack glue such as araldite might be an idea as super glue isn't quite strong enough but in all honesty if you take your tme there shouldn't be many issues.

Thanks for the positive comments guys

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Hi Alistair, lovely job a model to be proud of, I built this one maybe 2 years ago. My only complaint about the kit (not your model) was the fact that Trumpeter used thick black lines in a lot of the Decals in lieu of lettering, a poor show in view of the cost of the kit and the scale. If you enjoyed this kit you will like their MIG 29M; but it has the same Decal problem. Keep up the good work. Cheers Derek