U boat colours... Help needed please

B

backonthecase

Hi there all,

Well I'm still on the modelling wagon and took out my Type VIID to have look over and I immediately came across a problem. Too many greys.... Tower deck, main deck, and 3 for the hull sides alone....

Revell list all sorts of greys under various names but a lot of them involve mixing! Does anyone have a "general" list of colours they used on their type VII hopefully translated or translatable into Humbrol/tamiya/Vallejo paints?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bit of a useless post from me Stuart I'm afraid. I have the same dilemma with my Revell 1/144 Type VII D Minelayer.

Perhaps now your thread is back to the top someone might have the answer to our problem!lol

If I come up with anything I'll post up on here.

Ron

B

backonthecase

It's the same one I've got Ron, maybe we can do a side by side build once we have our mutually required information :smiling3: lol

So this is bumped back to the top again heehehehehehehe!!!

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bit of a start Stuart.

The highlighted colours in the instructions are obviously Revell paints, so I have managed to find the equivelant in Humbrol:

These are all the greys.

1st numbers Revell, 2nd Humbrol...

57=87

69=77

77=79

09=32

74=125

76=141.........I can't help with Vallejo paints as although I use them, I only brush paint with Vallejo Model Colour and I presume you use an A/B?

I will keep looking and let you know if I find any more info.

Ron

B

backonthecase

Yeah I will be using AB for this one ron.

I'll just grab the instruction shee and pencil them over. I take it you used the "Ultimate" conversion chart? Might go try to get Tamiya numbers from there using above...

R57 H87 T XF25

R69 H77

R77 H79

R09 H32 (LIFECOLOR 72 RLM 74)

R74 H125 T XF24 (LIFECOLOR 22)

R76 H141 T XF20 (LIFECOLOR 113)

It's a start :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Or you could use these The big problem is figuring out which is which. The good news is that they paint really well both with an Airbrush ans a Hairbrush!

Its what I will be using on mine.

Ian M

V

Vajled

deck, this dark gray I use TANK GRAY revell akril 36178,

for hull I use 36168 dust gray

and for command post (tower - sorry for my bad english) and upper hull I used Light gray 36371

all revell acrilic colors

after that good oil wash with black oil color, and good and heavy rust details

mybe that can help you

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Roman for your help getting the colours we need.

I knew you would let us know what you used for your wonderful U.Boat models.

Thanks again,

Ron

V

Vajled

\ said:
Thank you Roman for your help getting the colours we need.I knew you would let us know what you used for your wonderful U.Boat models.

Thanks again,

Ron
NP Ron,

I'm sorry for not reponding earlier because I was out of town and just hva quick look here and didnt see this topic.

Roman

B

backonthecase

Thank you very much Roman! It's good not to have to mix colours!!!! Have a beer on me ;)

Stuart

V

Vajled

\ said:
Thank you very much Roman! It's good not to have to mix colours!!!! Have a beer on me ;) Stuart
Take your word for beer :smiling3:

Little sneak a peak for new sub... ready for painting :smiling3:

V

Vajled

yes, exactly :smiling3: type XXI

German submarine Wilhelm Bauer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

V

Vajled

\ said:
deck, this dark gray I use TANK GRAY revell akril 36178, for hull I use 36168 dust gray

and for command post (tower - sorry for my bad english) and upper hull I used Light gray 36371

all revell acrilic colors

after that good oil wash with black oil color, and good and heavy rust details

mybe that can help you
One more notice, Upper HULL is in light gray but this revell akrylic number: 36176 Light Gray - Mat

And command post is in another light gray...

B

backonthecase

Ah I saw that in my local store last time I was there, looks good, and with quote a colourful history from what I read on the box.

Ah yes the conning tower does seem lighter than the upper hull. I have bookmarked this page for when I get round to building my VIID

Thanks again for your help Roman! I look forward to seeing the XXI painted :smiling3:

V

Vajled

\ said:
Ah I saw that in my local store last time I was there, looks good, and with quote a colourful history from what I read on the box.Ah yes the conning tower does seem lighter than the upper hull. I have bookmarked this page for when I get round to building my VIID

Thanks again for your help Roman! I look forward to seeing the XXI painted :smiling3:
NP at all, anytime I can help with anything I'm here :smiling3:

here is a first look of XXI... little more of light gray to kill preshade on some parts...

B

backonthecase

Looks good, preshading is nice and random. Am I correct thinking it's 1:125 rather than 1:144?

Stuart

V

Vajled

\ said:
Looks good, preshading is nice and random. Am I correct thinking it's 1:125 rather than 1:144?Stuart
thx Stuart...

it's 144

i like to have all same scale, u-boats in 1:144, ww2 bombers in 1:72, other planes 1:48 and armour in 1:35 :smiling3: