UFO Detected approaching Earth - Interceptors Immediate Launch!

B

Boldman

This is the Bandai UFO interceptor model:

As usual, it has "toy" features but thankfully only a sprint loaded missile, which was easy to remove. The cockpit was spartan to say the least so I had to scratch build that, but apart from that it was a straightforward build.

I picked up a few bits to build the cockpit:

and this turned into:

The biggest problem I had was with the decals. The kit supplied ones were old, fragile and a a very curious mix of "spanglish" text! So the decals were custom printed from a source I found on the net. Problem was once the matt varnish was applied the "black" text turned into pink blobs. So the decals had to stripped off and attempts made to print decals that didn't run. This was done by forcing the colour printer to print ONLY black for the stencil markings This, therefore isn't 100% accurate but as soon as I tried to any red text the ink ran badly once decal varnish was applied :sad:

Anyway enough talk, more photos!

I tried to get a decent photo of the cockpit but the lighting was against me and all I got was glare from the canopy.

Sadly during this photo shoot, the clips holding the battery compartment lid on the camera decided to break and now its almost impossible to take photos with the bloody thing - two tiny bits of plastic have turned the camera into a virtual write-off!! Oh well maybe its an opportunity to upgrade...

Just to add to the nostalgia factor:

N

noble

Brilliant one of my favorite shows and the music is cool too. quality interceptor lovely build excellent paint and weathering.

Scott

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
Seriously awesome!

11out of 10!

Got to get me one of those

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Andrew, something a little different and very nicely done.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wonderful build Andrew, nicely built and executed.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now that is nice I like everything about this top build

We seem to have a bit of a gerry Anderson theme going on today :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top job Andrew , and great rescue with the unco operative decals! cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolute cracker, great upgrade to a good kit.

I really love everything Gerry Andersson and can blame him for getting me into modelling. I remember very clearly the first time I ever saw a Thunderbirds episode. This was after Supercar, Four Feather Falls, Fireball XL5 etc...etc. Thunderbirds really introduced accurate weathered models which took the realism to a new level and the first one I saw was when the airliner Fireflash couldn't land because her nose wheel was out of action. Thunderbird Two dropped this pod with a couple of flat topped tractor vehicles in it. They drove aloing the runway and Fireflash landed on them. The modelling was stunning and the level of excitement it created was so amazing I remember it to this day. All i wanted to do from then was make models as realistic as possible.

W

Willi262

Sadly during this photo shoot, the clips holding the battery compartment lid on the camera decided to break and now its almost impossible to take photos with the bloody thing - two tiny bits of plastic have turned the camera into a virtual write-off!! Oh well maybe its an opportunity to upgrade...

My camera is having a similar crisis. I feel your pain.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I had the Corgi (metal) version of this, the one were the missile fired out of the front. The dog hated me..................