unconventional modelling materials list

Dwayne

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dwayne
Shoe laces make great tails for animals I used them to make horse tails. leave the aglet? on and chop as much as you need then use a small stiff brush to unravel the fibres.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Wow some amazing ideas on here, I shall add some it's I do, apologies if these are already up.

Swan & M scalpel handles (the metal type). To make these easier to grip and a little thicker I hear one or two layers of heat shrink tube onto them.

Masking some areas I use wet kitchen towel. Apply to model wet, wait to dry, cut to shape. Then spray, very easy to remove.

For nose weights I use fishing weights or any lead or meatal I have, put in nose cone and then melt candle wax in. Leave to dry. All done.

First Name
Noel
Scale cable or rope from wire. A dead easy method as follows!
Obtain one of those miniature plastic hand drills and place it horizontally in a vice with the turning handle uppermost. Get a paperclip and straighten it out but leaving one end in a hook shape. Put the straight part ( you may have to cut the paperclip to leave an unkinked straight length to go into the Chuck of the drill ) and tighten it well. Now get one of two lengths of copper, brass or heading wire and double them back over. Locate them over the hook in the drill chuck and grab the loose ends with a pair of pliers. Hold the wires under tension and turn the handle of the drill. As you turn the wires with the drill they will naturally start to form into a resemblance of rope or cable. Keep turning until the desired effect is achieved. As some well known meerkats would say. Simples!

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi,
Just spent the best part of an hour going over this, I have a bobs worth to throw into the circle:
1. I had a collection, (quite a few) of bonsai trees, and a few years ago were all killed off by an unexpected cold snap...
After the foliage had died off, I left the trunks to dry out , bingo, miniature trees for miniature vehicles .
2. The seeds from a Silver Birch Tree, on the tree they are a long course looking stick on the end of a thin spindly branch.
Take them off whole and carefully nip the end off and all the seeds fall off a centre spine, use the seeds as ivy leaves, also thin fuse wire for the stems.
3. Straws cut length way to use as guttering and down pipes.

Been AWOL for a while, good to be able to have input, some brilliant ideas here.

Mike