Unrebuilt Merchant Navy Loco

M

malcolm_durant

I am trying to create an unrebuilt Southern Merchant Navy loco from a collection of new style Hornby bits (all seconds).

I have a slightly damaged unrebuilt Battle of Britain/West Country (BoB/WC) loco bodyshell; a complete rebuilt Merchant Navy (MN) loco chassis with bent valve gear and a complete rebuilt MN 6000 gallon tender that's missing a few minor fittings.

The plan is to extend the BoB/WC loco body to fit the MN loco chassis (a circa 5mm extension at the firebox should achieve this) and reinstate the raves on the tender body. I know it's not quite that simple and model filler will undoubtedly be my friend, but that's the basics of the conversion.

I think I'll probably get BoB/WC valve gear and cylinders to suit. They will fit as the chassis blocks are essentially identical on the two current Hornby Bullied pacifics and it is easier than hacking about what I already have on the rebuilt MN chassis.

The problem I have is that I want to create a MN loco with a 6000 gallon tender, square cornered splashers (as per BoB/WC loco's) and a V-fronted cab...in Southern livery, which precludes those built in 1948(?) and 1949. I personally most like the look of MN loco's in this form and the longer tender further emphasises the greater size of a MN when compared to a BoB/WC.

Helpfully it seems this is also the easiest route to achieving a unrebuilt MN from the available bits.

Does anyone know of a suitable prototype as all the right loco's seem to have 5100 gallon tenders attached in my (very) limited source of pictures...?

Thanks in advance!!

Malcolm

Last edited:
M

malcolm_durant

Sorry for the poor presentation of the above. My paragraphs "disappeared" after I pressed "Submit"...

Malcolm

Actually I've worked out how to sort the formatting...so ignore this!!

Last edited:
L

linebacker55

Hi Malcolm...I have made this model out of Hornby China made parts and would be glad to help if you need it, you're on the right track with your basic method though...don't feel you have to couple up a 6000 gal tender as some Merchants never were paired up to big tenders, even when their tenders were being rebuilt/repaired. Swapping tenders was common practice though so this does give you some license, and V-cabs is definitely the way to go.Make sure you cut the bodies in the correct place to allow for the extra pair of boiler wash-out plugs that the Merchant Navy Engines all had.

Millholme made this kit some years ago and broke-up the moulds, but do still have the plans, another source (I used) was the black book on Bullied Southern Pacifics. This has the drawings and constuction diagrams to scale for you to use. It also gives tender pairings based on shed listings.

Hope this helps...good luck...jules