US ford amphibian car

W

Wittmann205

Hi guys,

This is just a small diorama for testing a new method of water ;)

I will use epoxy resin and for waves and details on the surface acrylic jelly ;)

After one hour of building ;)

(made out of old brushes)

Now ready to be filled with water ;)

Cheers Benny

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good Benny, I used Epoxy as water and found it cracked over large areas, as you're adding on top of this, it should be okay. Like this build, love the grass area.

Si:smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
this looks interesting.....cant wait to see it progress cos if it works it will look great

P

Polux

Looks very interesting!

Ok! Let's see how it finish!

Cheers. Polux

W

Wittmann205

Thx guys,

What do you mean with cracking over large areas?

Grass is made simple... White glue, different types of grass over it (long, short, green, yellow) and with a hoover over it and there it is... Standing perfect ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I found that when I had mixed a large amount of epoxy and poured it, smoothed it etc upon drying it developed cracks that ran through it, crazing I suppose. Worked fine on my small areas, great stuff as there is no shrinkage just didn't work for on a large space.

W

Wittmann205

Maybe it won't happen if you work in layers ... ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Maybe it won't happen if you work in layers ... ;)Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4
It could have been how I mixed it, but for large areas the expense made me switch to sealant lol.

C

Curtis

Interesting - can't wait to see the finished result of this!

Si - this sealant you mentioned - do you just use ordinary clear silicone?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Interesting - can't wait to see the finished result of this!Si - this sealant you mentioned - do you just use ordinary clear silicone?
Yep, depending on the model to be used I use ordinary clear sealant or a clear sealant with a built in adhesive. this helps to secure the model and other pieces.

These threads will show you what I am on about:

This one shows a simple, smooth wave effect: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/my-fisherman-diorama-looking-out-to-sea.19470/

This one shows a more rippled, peaked wave effect: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/found-my-modelling-achilles-heel.19632/

Both just using clear sealant. Ron, on here has achieved some amazing looking sea effects using silicone.

W

Wittmann205

The silicone looks great for wild water and bigger waves ;) but I tried for quiet (don't know the right word) water... I will show these days if it works with epoxy resin ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great stuff so far, this will look fantastic with the water effects. Watching with interest.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
The silicone looks great for wild water and bigger waves ;) but I tried for quiet (don't know the right word) water... I will show these days if it works with epoxy resin ;)Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4
Yeah, please do. It could have been due to large amount it had started to go off and by me messing with it it just didn't work.

N

noble

This looks great, as a solution for water in any hobby shop or hobby craft they do a product called scenic water, they use it for model railways. It is expensive but one bottle should more than do the job, pour it no deeper than 1/4 inch pours and it will be fine.

scott

W

Wittmann205

The model water from hobby stores ist mostly nothing else than epoxy resin ;)

I filled in the resin and put in the car.

A few weathering is already done. Some washes will be applied when the resin is hard.

Under the waterline there are normally just scratches and chipping. ;)

Cheers Benny

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks good, that look is what I achieved on a smaller scale, like it very much. Great build.

W

Wittmann205

Thx ;)

And after drying no crackings :smiling:

Pics look nearly the same as the pics before... But water is perfectly clear ;)

This will be my method for the future. The surface will be detailed by acrylic gel (for artists).

Cheers Benny