Using a vortex mixer

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
20211102_115716.jpg
Each time I use a paint (unless I've mixed it earlier the same day), I put it on this vortex mixer for 30 seconds.

I take my watch off because it doesn't seem nice to submit a timepiece to such vigorous agitation.

Having taken my watch off, it seems obvious to actually time the thirty seconds - Boy, it goes on forever!

Is this overkill? How thoroughly do you mix your paints?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
No it is not overkill. Paint needs thorough mixing especially if it has not been used for a while. I find those little tins of enamel the worst. If they haven't been used for a year or so they take ages stirring and stirring.
Jim

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
I use an old Chinese nail bar's shaker. I let it rattle until it looks nice a mixed, could be 00:30 secs to 01:30min

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds good to me….I give mine thirty to forty five seconds on the mixer……only thing I do different is to hold mine upside down mixing with the lid in contact with the rubber cup. I do this because the poly bottle is a bit soft and could wear through with friction. I actually have a Vallejo thinner bottle with wear marks on the base due to this.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Would a vortex mixer work with Tamiya type jars?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t see why not…..they are designed to mix liquids in containers……if I remember I’ll try mine tomorrow and let you know Alan…..if I don't remember, give me a kick LOL……

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Don’t see why not…..they are designed to mix liquids in containers……if I remember I’ll try mine tomorrow and let you know Alan…..if I don't remember, give me a kick LOL……
Cheers Tim
I've not tried my one jar of Tamiya but I have tried both Humbrol tins and The square Revell acrylic pots. They worked fine, although you have to make sure you have them positioned on squarely and held firmly so they don't fly off! :smiling5: :tired:

• Haha

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have used my Tamiya paint stirrer for years but it has never managed to cope with some paints. I thought a vortex mixer would be just the thing but now I have one I am unable to use it. It vibrates so much it causes pain in my arthritic hands and secondly it wakes up the occupants of the cemetery 400 yards from my cottage. A shame because I thought it would solve all of my problems. I tried the smaller nail polish shaker but that makes too much noise as well.

Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just bought a Robart paint mixer a couple months back.....since I only use enamel and lacquer based paints I leave them on the machine sometimes for 5 minutes or longer.....depends on how long they have sat, as Jim mentioned earlier.
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have used my Tamiya paint stirrer for years but it has never managed to cope with some paints. I thought a vortex mixer would be just the thing but now I have one I am unable to use it. It vibrates so much it causes pain in my arthritic hands and secondly it wakes up the occupants of the cemetery 400 yards from my cottage. A shame because I thought it would solve all of my problems. I tried the smaller nail polish shaker but that makes too much noise as well.

Dave
That’s a shame Dave. I find my vortex mixer is a godsend now I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis. You may be holding the bottles too tight. Just support the bottle with the flat of your palm and let the rubber cup do all the work. All you need to do is keep the bottles in contact with the cup and stop them flying around….. I never actually grip the bottles when I use mine. Surprised it’s so noisy though. Are the rubber feet in good condition? If not, put a square of carpet under it . That’s how I quieten my airbrush compressor.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just for Dave, this is how I hold the bottles during mixing…..
7FAF8A8D-D720-4E47-8F18-1904D3F48588.jpeg
As you can see, I only hold the bottles in place, I don’t grip the bottle at all….that bottle is a mix in progress, by the way, it’s not a blurred picture ;)

Oh, and for Alan…..yes, I can mix Tamiya paint on it.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I use a vortex moxer - one from a tatoo suplier which was a lot cheaper than some I have seen. However i do agree thag ig is noisy and I only use it upstairs in my modeling room. If I am painting in the lounge I use this nifty little nail polish mixer. What is nice is that it came with a number of different rubber cups so can hold Tamiya jars, Humbrol tins and Vallejo acrylics.

8443F745-0BE3-400B-B0EC-1419E4F2D91D.png

i used to use this which fits into my jigsaw - noisy but very fast - 10 seconds and its mixed!

image.jpg

Peter

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I use a vortex moxer - one from a tatoo suplier which was a lot cheaper than some I have seen. However i do agree thag ig is noisy and I only use it upstairs in my modeling room. If I am painting in the lounge I use this nifty little nail polish mixer. What is nice is that it came with a number of different rubber cups so can hold Tamiya jars, Humbrol tins and Vallejo acrylics.

View attachment 437773

i used to use this which fits into my jigsaw - noisy but very fast - 10 seconds and its mixed!

View attachment 437774

Peter
I've used the nail polish one too as you say very quiet but unfortunately I broke it by through my own stupidity...

• Sad

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just for Dave, this is how I hold the bottles during mixing…..
View attachment 437746
As you can see, I only hold the bottles in place, I don’t grip the bottle at all….that bottle is a mix in progress, by the way, it’s not a blurred picture ;)

Oh, and for Alan…..yes, I can mix Tamiya paint on it.
Unfortunately Tim, I can't even do that. The vibrations are the problem.

Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a shame Dave. Perhaps you need one of the nail varnish types that hold the bottle for you while it is shaken?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m running out of ideas now Dave…sorry :loudly-crying: :loudly-crying:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like the rest that have a vortex machine and I now swear by it. Used to have a jig saw powered reciprocating shaker, but forgot to set the speed low having used it for cutting and the whole box including the paint flew off . Thankfully no paint was lost !
That's when Tim told me about those vortex machines .